Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming, narrated by Andrew Sachs [audio]

I'm rather fond of the MGM Chitty Chitty Bang Bang film, although there are several "The Song We Sing Like This" type of numbers. However, every time I've tried to read the actual book by Ian Fleming, I've found it trite, silly, outdated, and just impossible to read. I have now discovered the secret....you have to LISTEN to it. It makes a marvelous story when read aloud, sounding exactly like a father telling a story to his children and making it up as he goes along. The repetitive language and cringeworthy asides sound perfect out loud, like someone stalling for time to decide what to say next. The unabridged version I listened to was narrated by Andrew Sachs.

Verdict: I really enjoyed listening to this, and will probably listen to it again in the future, but I wouldn't recommend purchasing it for your library unless you have a large number of fans of the movie.

ISBN: 978-0739350782; Published 2003 by Books on Tape, out of print; Borrowed from the library; Added to my personal wishlist

No comments: