Saturday, May 24, 2008

A new start

In less than a month, I have interviewed, been offered a job, accepted, finished school (except for those last couple classes, but hey I was packing!) started my new job, and become a veteran youth services librarian of 2 1/2 weeks!

All the horror stories of library school have yet to come true. I haven't dealt with any nasty patrons (although I'm sure they're out there), had to clean the bathrooms, broken the copier, been snubbed by the cataloguer, or crashed my computer or felt utterly lost, alone and not having the faintest idea what I'm doing.

Highlights so far:
My first book order! There's something so alluring about picking out books and sending off the order....buying books is one of my favorite things to do.

My first school visits, happily with my director. We visited two elementary schools, the first time I've ever been in an elementary school! The kids were wonderful, very attentive and interested, and asked lots of questions. Which led to....

The kids in my apartment complex recognizing me...hey, aren't you from the library? Do you live here?....

We'll see how I feel after I've done my first storytimes alone this summer...and summer reading programs....but so far it's been a blast!

No comments: