Wednesday, February 11, 2009

In the town all year 'round by Rotraut Susanne Berner

The new Richard Scarry!

I think it was Fuse 8 who first brought this book to my attention. I love detail books and it sounded great. But when it arrived a few weeks ago at our library, and I was checking out the new, to-be-catalogued books....it didn't look great.

It looked STUPENDOUS. AMAZING. FANTASTIC. and also EXTRAORDINARY.

For each of the four seasons there's a page of people to follow and a tree on a hill with the various characters around it. Then, there are 7 spreads, each showing a gazillion people, animals, and things. The settings for the spreads are the same for every season, but every single detail changes! It's the best of Richard Scarry, Waldo, and I Spy, all rolled into one large book! I refused to exile this to the oversized books - it's going to be on permanent display! Hours of looking delight!

Verdict: An updated verdict - this has become a constant favorite in our library, much-beloved by many parents and children. Buy it! Now!


ISBN: 978-0811864749; Published October 2008 by Chronicle; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library; Added to my personal wishlist

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Ooh, thank you so much for this recommendation! I'm so glad I found your blog..you're growing our "to be read" list and our library hold requests by the day. I'm going to link to your blog in a Richard Scarry review I do on my blog in a few minutes. hope you don't mind. :)

Jennifer said...

Not at all! I'm so glad someone is finding this useful! I've been saving your reading lists as well, to fill in some of the gaps in my library's boardbook collection!