Sunday, March 22, 2009

New books for my library!

Just back from a pilgrimage to Half Price of the few things I miss about Austin is the multiplicity of Half Price Book stores - here, I have to drive almost an hour. Ah well. I tried out the two in Madison and came home with:

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander (for my time fantasy collection - haven't read this)
Whispering mountain by Joan Aiken (a new paperback edition for my Joan Aiken collection)
Oops by Arthur Geisert (a really fascinating picturebook)
Merlin and the making of the king by Margaret Hodges, illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman (I normally HATE Arthurian stuff, but I love Hyman's gorgeous illustrations...)
The Kitten Book by Jan Pfloog (an old childhood favorite)
Just so stories by Rudyard Kipling, illustrated by Safaya Salter (I am so THRILLED! This is the edition we had when I was little and I have been looking everywhere for it!)
Nearer Nature by Jim Arnosky (I'll probably trade this on Bookmooch when I've read it)
Annotated Alice by Lewis Carroll (I've been looking for a cheaper version of this for ages - finally found a decent paperback for a decent price!)
Traveler in time by Alison Uttley (another one for my time fantasy collection that I have not read - very nice ex-library edition, with illustrations by Christine Price and a lovely cover)
Padre Porko by Robert Davis (another nice ex-library book - Padre Porko is a bit like Freddy the Pig)
We're going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen (small book for my small book collection!)
Peter Rabbit goes to school: a replica of the antique original (another small book)
Stink and the great guinea pig express by Megan McDonald (for my guinea pig collection)
Egg thoughts and other Frances songs by Russell Hoban (I really want this on LP, b/c that's how I had it when I was little, but I remember most of the tunes...)
My little golden book of fairy tales, illustrated by Gordon Laite (I noticed the very pretty illustrations and thought I'd get it...)

and for Bookmooch trading...
Araminta Spookie: Vampire Brat by Angie Sage
Heir of Mystery by Philip Ardagh
Invasion of the boy snatchers by Lisi Harrison
Felix feels better by Rosemary Wells (actually got this for my guinea pig collection, then discovered when I got home that I already had it!)

and for the library...
Invasion of the boy snatchers & Revenge of the Wannabes by Lisi Harrison (we need extra copies!)

and LPs!
Soundtrack to Applause
New Christy Minstrels Wandering Minstrels
Return of the wayfaring stranger, Burl Ives
Barrel Full of Monkees
Burl Ives sings Little White Duck and other children's favorites
Soundtrack and story of the Aristocats
Sleeping Beauty by Tchaikovsky

No comments: