Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I really, really need some new mystery series

I can only re-read Emma Lathen and Dell Shannon (yes, and her many pseudonyms) so many times.

I decided I wasn't going to read my Judge Dee books again and passed them on to Bookmooch.

I can practically recite my Kerry Greenwood. My library system is never going to buy the Graham Ison books I haven't read and I've re-read all my Elizabeth Lemarchand and Catherine Aird.

Time for some serious browsing work on stopyourekillingme.

Things I am avoiding - any mysteries involving crafts, the South, or "quirky" characters. I also don't like mysteries where the hero or heroine (or their best friend, spouse, etc.) is a major suspect. Or characters with deep, angsty lives and personal issues. Or historical characters as detectives. In general, I mean, there are exceptions to everything.

Picky? Of course I'm not picky. I'm selective.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

I assume you've read Dorothy Sayers? If, by any chance you haven't, do--I would suggest starting with Murder Must Advertise.

Jennifer said...

Yep. and Allingham, Christie, Aird, Lemarchand, etc.

KATE COOMBS said...

I guess Carl Hiaasen would be considered pretty dang quirky. And I recently discovered Martha Grimes, but her stuff gets increasingly gloomy as the series goes on. Hmm--plus she has some quirky characters. Charlaine Harris's "Shakespeare" mysteries (a town, not the famous playwright) are good, except the main character's a bit angsty. I really liked the first several books by Nevada Barr, but her last few (Hard Truth and Winter Study) were SO dark I couldn't take it any more--I haven't dared touch the new one. The funniest mysteries I've read lately definitely have quirk, but I still feel compelled to recommend them: Lisa Lutz's Spellman books (three so far). Have you read Laurie King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes books? Or Peter Abrahams' Echo Falls mysteries for kids? I just bought a new YA mystery he wrote, Reality Check. Anyway, good luck with your quest!

CLM said...

Have you read Julia Spencer-Fleming and Janet Neel? Start at the beginning, if not...

Jennifer said...

Hmm, Neel yes, Spencer-Fleming no. I'll try her!