Saturday, June 20, 2009

How do teachers do it?

Every summer (well, last year and this year and presumably in the future) I visit the new kindergarteners at summer school. I do storytime (frogs for Summer I, water/oceans for Summer II) and a craft. And by the time I get to the 4th or 5th class of 20 kids....I am totally hoarse. So how do teachers manage to talk over 20 noisy, exuberant, whiny, excited kids all day every day? Please impart to me your secret.

Oh, and this is what we do for storytime:
A London Froggy story (Froggy Bakes a Cake this time)
Tadpole Rex by Cyrus (we did some songs last year, they like this better!)
We tell The Biggest Thing in the World together (a version of Aesop's Frog and the Ox) with lots of hopping
We read Wide-Mouthed Frog by Faulkner
and we make wide-mouthed frogs!

No comments: