Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Books that hit the spot

I've read Timothy and the Strong Pajamas by Viviane Schwarz in several storytimes. I loooove Viviane Schwarz (There are Cats in This Book). The kids were ok with it, no particularly strong reactions...today, we were having a "let's get dressed!" storytime. I read Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed. I read Princess Bess Gets Dressed. We sang The Ants Go Marching (for no particular reason, just to march). I had about 4 girls and 2 boys. At this point, the 2 boys were rolling around on the floor. And then I read Timothy. Right away, they both sat up. They were mesmerized. They started getting involved in the story, "wow, he's strong" "look, he's lifting the WHOLE ELEPHANT". And when we got to the end and they saw his new power....mere words cannot describe their enthusiasm. For our craft, we were "dressing" paper cut-outs of people (left over from a gingerbread boy craft). The two boys immediately dived for the blue markers; "we're going to draw strong pajamas"! They drew strong pajamas (stripey blue ones) added red buttons of braveness, and extra laser eyes!

No comments: