Sunday, July 12, 2009

Home with the spoils from ALA!

Woo-hoo ALA! I got tons of absolutely amazing books. And met real LibraryThing people (and got a t-shirt) which was cool. And saw demos of the computer software which our library is considering. And looked at furniture - but didn't see anything which looked workable for our teen area. And if I ever go again I will take a backpack and gloves - my hands are painful after lugging all those bags around!

We saw many famous people, such as Neil Gaiman (we were coming from the other end of the aisle as he was signing for the loooooong line coming the other way. I liked Graveyard Book, but sorry, I still think he looks creepy. Maybe because somebody thought it would be a good idea to introduce me, person who never reads horror, to graphic novels via Sandman. And Lauren Myracle and Michael Buckley who signed books! Lauren Myracle wanted me to take her picture! With a pink camera! But I had to say no, because I cannot take pictures. And we saw John Green. Several times! Laughing loudly with friends at a table in the cafeteria! And Amy Krouse Rosenthal!

Small cool things - Penguin magnet and pin, Duck! Rabbit! pin (it changes when you tip it! very cool!), sample chapter of DiCamillo's Magician's Elephant, Catching Fire pin (they had an ARC of Catching Fire there and I thought it was kinda funny that it was TAPED SHUT so no one could peek. Not really a Collins fan, so I found it funny not frustrating (-:), fall sampler of Scholastic Audio. Cute little promo booklet for Mo Willems Big Frog.

Other cool things - free audiobook of Voyage of the Dawn Treader! And Arthur Upfield - the rep tried hard to convince me that if I liked Kerry Greenwood I would like listening to Upfield, but I haven't listened to Kerry Greenwood, only read her and I'm very chary about audiobooks, so I let our adult services librarian steal it from me. Because she did not get a cool maroon LibraryThing t-shirt, only a black one, although, as I pointed out, he offered it to me first because I am an Important and Huge Member of LibraryThing. Plus, I got there first. Copy of Kiki, a new magazine for girls which looks interesting.

And I bought Tim Kennemore's Alice's World Record and Alice's Shooting Star, because I ordered them in NOVEMBER and our vendor insists on saying the publisher is out of stock, which is obviously not true because they had STACKS of them!

Now, the best part - the books! To my despair, I did not manage to snag a copy of Faceless Ones by Derek Landy. The very nice exhibitor promised me one, but when she went to get it, they were all out. Sniff. She did give me some others instead but....

Ok, getting over it.

I got Violet Wings by Victoria Hanley!!! Woot! I can't wait to read this and I know several teens (including my sister) who are going to be very excited too!

A bunch of little chapter books based on Naruto and Dragon Ball, which are going into the very nice Viz bag I also got as a summer reading prize.

Two!! of Leslie Margolis' Girls Acting Catty. These are going to be highly-sought after reading prizes and I was very happy to hear that Margolis has been signed on for more books in the future. And no, I was not greedy, the rep. offered me an extra when I gave her my Boys are Dogs booktalk which convinces even boys to read this book!

Walt Disney's Peter Pan - the Mary Blair picturebook. It's hard to decide what to do with picturebook ARCs, I might use this one for wallpaper. Gorgeous, gorgeous illustrations.

Luv ya bunches by Lauren Myracle - signed! this is going straight out as a summer reading prize!

Nerds by Michael Buckley (autographed! i might put it out as a reading prize, but i want to read it first!)

Syren by Angie Sage - summer reading prize!

Cookie by Jacqueline Wilson
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Lost conspiracy by Frances Hardinge
Little black lies by Tish Cohen
Last apprentice clash of the demons by Joseph Delaney
Candor by Pam Bachorz
Pharoah's secret by Marissa Moss
Stone Rabbit: Deep-Space Disco by Erik Craddock
Be a genie in six easy steps by Linda Chapman

Books that I hadn't heard of before but got because they looked cool:

Spellbinder by Helen Stringer
Murder at Midnight by Avi
Everything sucks by Hannah Friedman
Secrets girls keep by Carrie Silver-Stock
Summer I got a life by Mark Fink
Listen by Nancy Coffelt
Dear big V by Ellen Leroe
Secret story of Sonia Rodriguez by Alan Sitomer
Clover Twig and the magical cottage by Kay Umansky
Troy High by Shana Norris
Importance of wings by Robin Friedman
Brain finds a leg by Martin Chatterton
Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist by R. L. LaFevers
43 Old Cemetery Road: Over my dead body by Kate Klise
Ghost huntress: the guidance by Marley Gibson
Elf Realm: The High Road by Daniel Kirk
Shifter by Janice Hardy
Splendor Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore

And had a long and excellent exchange of ideas with a neighboring librarian on the bus ride home. Worth any amount of sitting in conference rooms.

Woot!

No comments: