Sunday, August 30, 2009

Battle of the Books; This is going to be nasty

So, it's almost the end of the year. Well, at least on my order lists it is. See, the way I do my order lists is:

I divide all my money into categories. Boardbooks, Picturebooks (includes concept books), Easy readers, Juvenile Series, Juvenile Fiction, Juvenile Graphic Novels, Juvenile Non-Fiction, Young Adult Fiction, Young Adult Graphic Novels. (my colleague buys YA nonfiction - I give her suggestions now and then). AV is a whole different kettle of fish.

Then I have an Excel spreadsheet for each of those categories with lists and lists of books I want to buy in different genres within those categories.

Then I have an Excel spreadsheet for each month with a tentative order list.

Throughout the month I transfer my picks onto Baker and Taylor, then have one final review at the end of the month and....

Voila! New Books!

But my tentative order lists for the rest of the year are pretty much full. And my spreadsheet lists of books I want are waaay too full. Some things are going to have to go so I can start January with a clean (or mostly) slate.

So....Johanna Wright's Secret Circus or a new edition of Audrey Wood's Napping House? Greg Taylor's Killer Pizza or Cast's House of Night? Love, Aubrey or Invisible Boy?

The battle begins.

No comments: