Saturday, August 8, 2009

New Stuff!

Just checked in a cart of new books at the library and thought you might like a peek...

First, I got the rest of the picturebooks from my July order:

I can do it myself by Diane Adams illustrated by Nancy Hayashi. I like the funny disconnect between the child's determination to do everything themself and the results. The pictures are a bit in the style of Henry Cole.

Goldilicious by Victoria Kann. I bought this because I have a bunch of little girls who are huge fans of Pinkalicious and Purplicious. Personally, if one is going to hand out fancy princess picturebooks, I prefer Fancy Nancy. I find Kann's art flat, the mixture of pink, purple, gold, glitter, and unicorns sickly sweet, and the writing style boring. But that's just me.

Roawr! by Barbara Joose illustrated by Jan Jutte. I love stories that have interactive sounds. I tried this one out in storytime right after I got it and the kids "roawred" along quite happily. I really like the writing style and odd words too - very chewy.

Homegrown house by Janet Wong illustrated by E. B. Lewis. Warm, beautiful story about a little girl wanting to settle down in a well-loved house. Beautiful illustrations.

Pond Circle by Betsy Franco illustrated by Stefano Vitale. The life cycle of a pond told in a cumulative narrative after the fashion of This is the House That Jack Built. The illustrations glow with life.

We're all in the same boat by Zachary Shapiro illustrated by Jack E. Davis. I had several patrons who teach Sunday School in mind when I bought this. It's a fun and silly abc book based on the story of Noah's Ark. The illustrations are hilarious and one of my patrons scooped it up for a Noah's Ark lesson this Sunday right away!

And that was the picturebooks. Then I got a mixed bag of juvenile series and comics:

Fabumous School Adventure by Geronimo Stilton (my kids just can't get enough Stilton!)

Good night for ghosts by Mary Pope Osborne (latest Magic Tree House adventure)

Trixie the Halloween Fairy by Daisy Meadows (latest Rainbow Magic fairy book)

Horrid Henry and the mega-mean time machine by Francesca Simon(I bought four Horrid Henry books to test them out - they're checking out, but not phenomenally. But we haven't had them for long)

Jellaby: Monster in the City by Kean Soo. I'm trying to fill in the few juvenile graphic novel series that I have. Jellaby checks out regularly, although it's not as hugely popular as....

Star Wars Clone Wars Crash Course. This is a new clone wars comics series. I tried to find it in prebound, as these tend to fall apart after a few gentle handlings, but no luck. My 8-12 boys are crazy about these and gentle handling they do not do.

Baby-sitter's Club: Claudia and Mean Janine. This is the last (as far as I know) of the baby-sitter's club graphic novels. We have all four now and they check out regularly, although they're not as popular as Babymouse or Bone.

Fancy Nancy and the dazzling book report. Couldn't find this easy reader in hardback and had to settle for pb - I know I'm going to have to replace it in a few months.

Mercy Watson: Something Wonky this way comes by Kate Dicamillo. The newest Mercy Watson.

Bad Girls by Jacqueline Wilson (audiobook on cd). This came in from an audiobook order our director put through. Wilson is quite popular here, so it should check out, although the kids have become enamoured of playaways, so cds are less popular.

How to get rich in the California Gold Rush by Tod Olson. An interesting juvenile nonfiction. It's the story of a fictional young man going to the gold rush - tons of little facts and boxes of information, and short chapters plus info at the back about how the fictional story matches real life.

And a few young adult materials. Our adult services librarian and I buy young adult nonfiction together - it comes out of her budget, but we both select stuff. We got...

Inked by Carey Hart. One of those really fascinating teen browsing books - if you're into tattoos.

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. I thought this sounded funny, apparently it's very popular - had a hold on it right away.

Mehndi by Carine Fabus. We just had a henna program in July, this was supposed to be here then but got backordered. Sigh.

Dorm Room Feng Shui by Katherine Olaksen. It feels a bit feminized for my taste, but then I can't think of any guys I ever met in college who would have wanted to feng shui their dorm rooms.

And Coffin Club by Ellen Schreiber. I'm trying to get this whole series - we're still short a few.

And now that I've put new stickers on them, marked them off the order list, added them to the new posters, added them to the youth services blog, put some things onto the reading lists, added stuff to the lexile lists....they can go on the shelf!

1 comment:

zrs70 said...

Thanks for recommending my book, "We're All in the Same Boat"!

Zach Shapiro