Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Where do you send a teen who really, really wants to write?

So I have this patron, with whom I am rather good friends. She is just turning 13, is a voracious reader (of fantasy and manga), and really wants to write fantasy - she's already writing a humongous fantasy novel with a friend (she told me all about it). So far, I've given her Patricia C. Wrede's Worldbuilding Questions, Victoria Hanley's Seize the Story (which she said was amazing! I agree!), and I've just requested Gail Carson Levine's Writing Magic. She has discovered fanfiction.net on her own and is very excited about that.

What I'm looking for now, is some kind of current publishing information directed at teens. She said she looked at some publishing information and it was very "confusing". I know I found a website about this at some point in the past that was excellent, but I can't find it again! Any suggestions? I don't want to discourage her enthusiasm, but I do think she needs something, well, practical.

4 comments:

David said...

Are you aware of this blog for writers:
http://gailcarsonlevine.blogspot.com/

Shellie Braeuner said...

Did you know about the Young Writers Program? You can find out more at: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/ywp

Thanks,

Shellie Braeuner

Jennifer said...

just what i'm looking for, thanks!

Chris said...

Your budding author probably needs the support of other more experienced writers to give her honest feedback on her work from both content and technical writing points of view.

If you can find a writing group comprised of writers (and by that I mean people who are actually writing) with a group objective of members getting published, then that is where she needs to go. Don't confuse this with a creative writing group for those who don't write but would like to!

Her primary need is to be given her head in what she writes, but to have continuous, honest feedback from which she can learn.

Chris Warren
Author and Freelance Writer
Randolph's Challenge Book One - The Pendulum Swings
http://www.randolphschallenge.com