Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Cybils Nominations to Date; or, if you don't know what to nominate I can sure help you there

This year, I was going to wait until the last minute so I could make sure my favorites got on the list. Well, I couldn't wait any longer so I got started! But I still haven't decided in a couple categories.

*Nominated by me!

Easy Readers/Short Chapter Books (my panel!)
*Bad to the bone by Lucy Nolan
This is such a fun, sweet book and very popular at my library.

Fantasy/SF
As you can see, I'm TORN. If any of these were favorites of yours, please nominate some and help me make up my mind!
  • Runaway Dragon by Kate Coombs (I haven't reviewed this yet, but it's so much fun! I love it!)
  • Serial Garden by Joan Aiken (I'm not sure this is actually eligible b/c it's reprinted stories, but it does include some new ones and I loooove Joan Aiken)
  • Flight of the Phoenix by R. L. LaFevers (This was one of my favorites of the ARCs I got at ALA. My review here)
  • Faceless ones by Derek Landy (Squee! Who could leave out Skulduggery?)
  • Violet Wings by Victoria Hanley (Haven't reviewed this yet...but it's Hanley!)
  • NERDS by Michael Buckley nominated! (I loved this one too, as you can see here)
  • Alien Expedition and/or Camp Alien by Pamela Service (See, I would call this a beginning chapter book, but for Cybils they're shorter than my definition, which is just fine, everybody defines them differently, but I can't really see this going into middle grade fiction, but SOMEBODY MUST nominate this...oh dear. Not convinced? Check out my review here)
Fiction Picture Books (I can't decide here either. Help!)
  • Duck and Cover by Jackie Urbanovic (I just pulled this out in storytime this morning and several kids said delightedly, "that's Max!" Yup. We loves us our Max the duck)
  • Trudy by Henry Cole (and our Henry Cole)
  • Snow day by Sakai (Betsy Bird and I both liked it! So you know it's good!)
  • Welcome to the zoo by Alison Jay (This one just missed last year's Cybils - it was published Oct. 16! It really should go in this year. See my review.)
  • It's picture day today by Megan McDonald (see my review)
  • Sergio saves the game by Edel Rodriguez (see my review)
  • Doggone dogs by Beaumont (David Catrow fans? See my review)
  • Do not build a Frankenstein by neil numberman
  • On our way home by Sebastien Braun (see my review)
  • Panda and Polar bear by Matthew Baek (combined review)
Graphic Novels
  • *Girl Genius 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones by Phil & Kaja Foglio
  • Blue Beetle: Boundaries (I don't know if this is eligible b/c I assume the separate comics were published...separately. I am a big Blue Beetle fan
  • World of Quest 2 by Jason Kruse (Calvin and Hobbes meets Conan the Barbarian. These are huge at my library - so much fun!)
Middle Grade Fiction - I'm really torn here too
  • Homeschool Liberation League nominated! by Lucy Frank (Somebody has GOT to nominate this. Just has to. If nobody does, I will. See my review and it's not just me - this has been flying of the shelf at my library)
  • *Melonhead by Katy Kelly nominated by me! (But how can I neglect poor Melonhead? I laughed myself sick on this book and promoted it to all the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade classes on my school visits. See my review)
  • Dessert First by Hallie Durand nominated! (This is another one that in my definition would be a beginning chapter book. But whatever. It's fun. See what I said here)
  • Happy birthday Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel (Ok, I admit I haven't read it. But only because I'm on the hold list and my copy hasn't come yet. come on, everybody loves Bad Kitty)
Non-fiction MG/YA
  • *Which way to the wild west by Steve Sheinkin
  • Science Warriors by Sneed Collard (See my review)
  • Sea cows shamans and scurvy by Ann Arnold (see my review)
Non-fiction picture books
  • *About penguins: a guide for children by Cathryn Sill

Poetry - I don't think I nominated anything in this category last year either. I think I've bought maybe 2 poetry books for the library this past year. I got dinosaur and train books instead.

Young Adult Fiction - All the ya stuff I love is usually fantasy and the couple things I liked are already nominated, so I'm good! Might think of something later...

5 comments:

Infant Bibliophile said...

OK, I'm totally going over to nominate There are Cats in this Book. My son adores it.

Jennifer said...

Yay! I can't help thinking there's some reason it's ineligible, because I can't believe nobody has nominated it!

Charlotte said...

Hi Jennifer,

I am glad you have those middle grade sf/f books up your sleeve--I am a little anxious that we are missing too many good ones...and I know there will be a flurry toward the end, but still it is nail biting!

Jennifer said...

Yeah, I really want to see Runaway Dragon on the list - but I also really want Pamela Service's Alien Agent series to show up! She's got two that are eligible, so either one...and I adored Faceless Ones, and I'm a big R. L. LaFevers fan and her new series is fab, and....you get the picture. I'm torn.

Charlotte said...

Faceless Ones and Flight of the Phoenix are now nominated!

I am much too into this for my own sanity, but that's what makes it fun...