Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cybils 2009 Nominations: The Obsessive List

Here's the middle grade and nonfiction picturebooks I've read, looked at, am interested in, etc. from the Cybils nominations. Like you care, but whatever.
  • Face to face with dolphins by Flip Nicklin (we haven't got this one at our library - yet. It's a cool series and lots of lovely pictures)
  • I can't keep my own secrets by Larry Smith (not really by him, b/c it's teen memoirs, but whatever. We just got this for the teen area - I've seen several kids looking at it)
  • Mission Control this is Apollo by Andrew Chaikin (this has checked out well - I think I really underestimated the popularity of space books. We need more)
  • Frog Scientist by Pamela Turner (I love Scientists in the Field. Uber-cool series)
  • Which Way to the Wild West by Steve Sheinkin (I love his books, but I can't ever seem to spell his name even when it's my nomination)
  • About Penguins by Cathryn Sill (This was my nomination - Sills' books are gorgeously illustrated with spare, excellent writing)
  • Down down down by Steve Jenkins (Steve Jenkins - the Mo Willems of nonfiction picturebooks)
  • Just the right size by Nicola Davies (my review)
  • Nic Bishop Butterflies and Moths (Amazing - and good read alouds)
I'm kinda behind on my nonfiction - I've spent the last couple months weeding like crazy, starting in January I'll be adding like crazy and have more stuff to wave around.


And now, my obsessive listing of the Fiction Picturebooks nominated for Cybils!
  • 1000 times no by Tim Warburton (Kinda cute - I like the book trailer)
  • All in a day by Cynthia Rylant (I regretted buying this for the library - we're kinda tired of "soft concept" books here and I really disliked the illustrations)
  • All the world by Liz Scanlon (But we make an exception for this one and love it very much)
  • Archie and the Pirates by Marc Rosenthal (I can't find this anywhere to preview. Sigh. Not sure the library needs it or not)
  • Bee-Wigged by Cece Bell (Kinda...weird. But it's got a guinea pig!)
  • Bill Twitters and His Blue Whale Problem by Mac Barnett (We deeply adore this shining new talent and if I have my way, every school tour that passes through my library will be exposed to the wonder of the Barnett)
  • Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman (bought in the first fine flush of enthusiasm after the Newbery. Plus, I kinda like Vess. but no more soft concept books. please.)
  • Book by Mordicai Gerstein (this is a pretty cool book)
  • Can YOU make a scary face? by Jan Thomas (this is going to the be the first thing I add to my new professional storytime collection. It's PERFECT!!)
  • Carousel Tale by Elisa Kleven (my favorite will always be Apple Doll, but this is a sweet story too)
  • Curious Garden by Peter Brown (no strong feelings good or bad really)
  • Duck and Cover by Jackie Urbanovic (Yay Max! My nomination!)
  • Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Rosenthal (We had lots of fun with this in storytime)
  • Dunderheads by Paul Fleischman (at my library, we put this in juvenile fiction and I labeled it a beginning chapter book. whatever.)
  • Egg Drop by Mini Grey (just thinking about this makes me giggle. snort)
  • Finn Throws a Fit by David Elliott (meh, it was ok. kinda plotless. might be fun to read aloud)
  • Friend by Anette Bley (This was a gamble to buy, like I said, soft concept, but turned out to be quite popular. nice book)
  • Goldilicious by Victoria Kann (didn't like it personally, but it's popular)
  • Guess Again! by Mac Barnett (I nearly had a riot in the storyroom when I read this to my 2nd grade visitors. Heh heh heh)
  • Hair of Zoe Fleefenbacher Goes to School by Laurie Anderson
  • Hello Baby! by Mem Fox (we are big Steven Jenkins fans here - the toddlers really like this one)
  • Henry and the Crazed Chicken Pirates by Carolyn Crimi (another school visit winner. in case you haven't noticed, i love funny books. this one is hilarious and reading it aloud was even funnier....bawk!)
  • Hermit Crab by Carter Goodrich (circulates well)
  • How do you wokka-wokka? by Elizabeth Bluemle (I need some work on the rhythms before I can read this out loud)
  • I need my monster by Amanda Noll (surprised myself by really liking this one)
  • Let's do nothing by Tony Fucile (I adore reading this out loud. So much fun!)
  • Lion and the Mouse by Pinkney (mmm, it's been sitting on our new book shelf for a while. might need to wave it at somebody)
  • Lousy Rotten Stinkin' Grapes by Margie Palatini (Funny, well-written fable retelling)
  • Monkey with a tool belt and the noisy problem by Chris Monroe (Yay! this is a big favorite for me and the library)
  • Monsters don't eat broccoli by Barbara Hicks (another storytime favorite)
  • Mouse was mad by Linda Urban (I was disappointed in the storytime response for this one, but I passed it to my colleague and it went really well for the toddlers)
  • Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems (everybody loves Mo)
  • Not all animals are blue by Beatrice Boutignon (this is a very cool and absorbing book)
  • Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis (I am a big Portis fan and our library loves its penguins!)
  • Princess Hyacinth by Florence Heide (it was ok)
  • Rhyming Dust Bunnies by Jan Thomas (Yay for Jan Thomas!)
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night by Melanie Watt (and we loves us our Scaredy Squirrel too)
  • Spells by Emily Gravett (I am a huge Gravett fan and can't wait to get my hands on this)
  • There are cats in this book by Viviane Schwarz (snap judgement, and there's lot of love from me and others for things on this list, but this would be my choice for winner. Woweewow!)
  • Thunder-Boomer by Shutta Crum (I see this being a new classic)
  • Trouble Gum by Matthew Cordell (I found the pictures hard to read. too small for storytime)
  • Who wants to be a poodle I don't by Lauren Child (kinda fun. i like charlie and lola better though)
  • Wink the ninja who wanted to be noticed by J. C. Phillipps (we had fun with this at school visits last spring)
There should be a boardbook category next year. And that's the picturebooks!


More Cybils Nominations I have read, bought, glanced at, or sniffed as I passed by (except for the easy reader/beginning chapter books b/c I'm going to blog those in exhaustive detail starting on Wednesday probably)

[Fantasy/SF Category]
  • Any Which Wall by Laurel Snyder (I said...)
  • Melvin Beederman by Greg Trine (I said...and ordered the whole series for next spring!)
  • Camp Alien by Pamela Service (Squee!!!)
  • Candle Man by Glenn Dakin (I can't find this ANYWHERE and I really want to read it. Pout.)
  • Dragon Spear by Jessica Day George (On order at the library, hasn't come in yet - a fairly popular series)
  • Dragon of Trelian by Michelle Knudsen (Tried it. Just didn't grab me)
  • Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (very popular at our library)
  • Flight of the Phoenix by R. L. LaFevers (Loved, loved, loved it!)
  • Fortune's Magic Farm by Suzanne Selfors (I bought this for the library thinking it was a picturebook. Happens to me a lot. Then I read it and I said...)
  • Ghost on the Stairs by Chris Eboch (Tried it. Didn't grab me)
  • Hannah's Winter by Kierin Meehan (Bought it for the library based on reviews - it's circulated well)
  • Heroes of the Valley by Jonathan Stroud (Really unfortunate cover. Hasn't circ'd as well as I'd hoped)
  • Immortal Fire by Anne Ursu (Keep meaning to read this series. Haven't yet. Popular with Percy Jackson fans)
  • Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (Loved the first, but never finished the series. I'm like that sometimes)
  • Lost Conspiracy by Frances Hardinge (It's on my reading shelf, just haven't gotten to it yet)
  • Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo (Another one I thought was a picturebook. Loved Despereaux, though not the movie, but not really interested)
  • My Rotten Life by David Lubar (Can't wait to booktalk this in May)
  • Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman (I liked it)
  • Seige of Macindaw by John Flanagan (stopped buying this series for the library as interest seems to have waned. Hopefully will fill in the missing volumes later in the spring)
  • Sent by Margaret Haddix (Very popular here)
  • Spellbinder by Helen Stringer (Yum. Can't wait for the sequel)
  • Suddenly Supernatural by Elizabeth Kimmel (Was surprised that I loved it)
  • Syren by Angie Sage (Recommend this series a lot to younger kids wanting something like Harry Potter but easier to read)
  • Faceless Ones by Derek Landy (Yay!!)
  • Magic Thief: Lost by Sarah Prineas (very popular at the library)
  • Runaway Dragon by Kate Coombs (This was my nomination and I haven't reviewed it yet! Very embarrassing)
  • Serial Garden by Joan Aiken (Ooooh, someone nominated it! Hope it turns out to be eligible!)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris by R. L. LaFevers (Yay for Theodosia!)
  • When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (Got it for the library, haven't read it. Doesn't sound like my kind of thing)
  • Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry (Fairy tale retelling fans will love it)
  • Betraying Season by Marissa Doyle (bought it for myself, and I almost never buy books I haven't read. Savoring the anticipation at the moment)
  • Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce (loved it, of course)
  • Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Brennan (didn't work for me)
  • Dull Boy by Sarah Cross (skimmed it, looked like fun, haven't gotten around to reading the whole thing)
  • Firebirds Soaring (nice)
  • Ice by Sarah Beth Durst (waiting to read it)
  • Thirteenth Child by Patricia Wrede (ice cream!)
And lots of other teen fantasy I've bought for the library, especially all the Twilight read-alikes, but either am not interested in reading or haven't read yet.




Graphic Novels - This is still a new area for me, so many of the Cybils nominations are new to me.
  • Adventures in Cartooning by James Sturm (doesn't circ. as well as our other how to draw books)
  • Babymouse The Musical, Dragonslayer by Matthew and Jennifer Holm (only "pink books" I've ever gotten boys to read, except Boys are Dogs and that requires special book-talking)
  • Benny and Penny in the Big No-No by Geoffrey Hayes (I am totally biased b/c Hayes wrote one of my very very favorite stories when I was little, Patrick Eats His Dinner. Sentimental Sigh)
  • Binky the Space Cat by Ashley Spires (Snurk. This was hilarious)
  • Cat Burglar Black by Richard Sala (want. sequel. now.)
  • Courtney Crumrin by Ted Naifeh (Courtney made me an official contemporary graphic novels fan)
  • Creepy Crawly Crime by Aaron Reynolds (I really, really don't get the hardboiled crime spoof genre of children's lit)
  • Dragonbreath by Ursula Vernon (made me a Vernon fan for life)
  • Happy Birthday Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel (Not as funny as the bath, more Garfieldian, but kids will love it)
  • Luke on the Loose by Harry Bliss (Toon books are always good, except I didn't like Mo and Jo)
  • Lunch Lady by Jarrett Krosoczka (I'm getting them for the library, but they didn't really grab me first time around)
  • 3-2-3 Detective Agency by Fiona Robinson (not my favorite of the year, but I liked it well enough. I think kids will really enjoy it)
  • Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook by Eleanor Davis (Love, love, love this one on so many levels)
  • Stonekeeper's Curse by Kibuishi (at least you didn't dump us off another major cliffhanger. You know how many kids I had to placate when they found out they'd have to wait at least a year after reading the first one?)
  • Storm in the Barn by Matt Phelan (Very atmospheric. Very artistic. Very boring.)
  • Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Eric Shanower (I am a firm Shanower fan - he is definitely Ozzy - and I can't wait to find this)
  • Girl Genius 8 : Chapel of Bones by Phil and Kaja Foglio (My nomination! I adore Girl Genius)
  • Kith by Holly Black (just finished this one - the art felt kind of unfinished, I think I liked the first one better)
  • Photographer by Emmanuel Guibert (Kinda skimmed it...odd that this is considered teen and not adult)
  • War at Ellsmere by Faith Erin Hicks (I love reading these. and booktalking them. Yum.)
  • Wicked Lovely Desert Tales by Melissa Marr (haven't read the books - too dark for me - but this was enjoyable if a little drifty)
  • Wonderland by Tommy Kovac (I and a girl at my library are big fans. We are secure in knowing that not many other people understand.)
Hmmm, I've read more than I thought I had. Yay for me!


Ah, the middle grade fiction. Lots of things here I've heard about, even bought for the library, but haven't read....
  • Dessert First by Hallie Durand (my review)
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love by Emma Tarshis (still not sure how I feel about these)
  • Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (Hey look, I read a potential award-winner and liked it!)
  • Love Aubrey by Suzanne LeFleur (and I read a sad book and liked it!)
  • Melonhead by Katy Kelly (My nomination! Yay for Melonhead!)
  • NERDS by Michael Buckley (It's got guinea pigs!)
  • Operation Redwood by S. French (liked it much)
  • Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone by Dene Low (didn't get into it at first, but then I liked it. Now I own it, a high mark of favor)
  • Problem with the puddles by Kate Feiffer (I don't get it. I just don't. Why do people like this?)
  • Sisters 8 by Lauren Baratz-Logsted (I'd never heard of these, but a little girl asked for them last year and they fly off the shelves)
  • Strawberry Hill by Mary Anne Hoberman (my review)
Hmm, I've read more than I expected! Yay for me!




The only thing on the poetry list I've seen/bought was the Bill Martin Big Book of Poetry and that was a disappointment. Our nonfiction is in dire straits, and poetry is really at the bottom of the ladder - although I did replace some of the really worn Prelutsky and Silverstein.

YA - I'm not much of a ya reader (although I do obsess over collection development and enjoy booktalking it. and yes, contrary to what you were probably taught in library school it is possible and sometimes even easier to booktalk books you haven't read. one of my best booktalks is for a book I've never opened) Anyways, I've bought, waved around, and otherwise engaged with many of these but I've only
  • Geektastic (my review)
  • Homeschool Liberation League (I really, really, want this one to win)
  • Wish you were dead by Todd Strasser (I admit it. I just skimmed it really quickly. I wanted to see more mystery/thriller/non-pink books on the list)
Anyways, I'm going to read lots of things on the list. Sometime. Maybe.
And now it's time to get ready for posting my Cybils reviews! Yay Easy Readers and Beginning Chapter Books!

No comments: