Tuesday, January 19, 2010

ALA Midwinter: The Books Edition

I got TONS of books. So many that, as you will note in my earlier post, I split my duffel bag. Here's what I got. I got an even 65 cool books, counting the one that's being sent to me. And I might have another one coming, I don't remember now.

  • Radiant Shadows by Melissa Marr. I have yet to read the first one, but this is destined as a birthday present for my sister. Her scream of delight when I told her on the phone was shattering - I am sure it will be shared with her friends back in Austin as well.
  • The Brain Full of Holes by Martin Chatterton. I finally got around to reading The Brain Finds a Leg, an ARC from ALA last summer on the plane up here. I know, pitiful. It was hilarious and I giggled all the way here, so I was delighted to discover a sequel. Review coming soon!
  • They had no copies of A Most Improper Magick by Stephanie Burgis! Woe! But they promised to send me one! Delight! I have been looking forward to this book since I first heard about it last year.
  • Sweet, Hereafter by Angela Johnson. I've read some Angela Johnson, she's good and stuff. This isn't for me, it's going to be a teen summer reading prize or maybe passed on to another librarian or something
  • Unfamiliar magic by R. C. Alexander. Looks like a fun middle-grade fantasy. I really cleaned up in that genre this year and it's one of my favorites!
  • Books of Elsewhere: The Shadows by Jacqueline West. Another excellently fun-looking middle grade fantasy!
  • Abby Carnelia's one and only magical power by David Pogue. And another! I heard about this a while ago, but couldn't form an opinion based on the reviews I'd read, so I'm glad to try it myself.
  • Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman. And another...
  • Benjamin Pratt and the Keepers of the School by Andrew Clements. His new series! Been a while since I read a Clements....
  • Extraordinary Ernie and Marvelous Maude by Frances Watts. A new beginning chapter book series from Eerdman's press, publishers of one of my favorite chapter book series, Alice by Tim Kennemore. And they had a Cybils notice stuck in Alice's Shooting Star! Cool!
  • Nest for Celeste by Henry Cole. Can't wait to read his first novel....
  • Crunch by Leslie Connor. I wasn't interested in Waiting for Normal, although we own it. I think our director actually ordered it. But this one really grabbed me, I shall have to go back and read Normal first...
  • Thirteen days to midnight by Patrick Carman. This title is for distribution to other librarians, summer reading, etc....I'm not a Carman fan.
  • Making toast by Roger Rosenblatt. This is an adult title. I got it for our adult svs librarian.
  • Sorta like a rock star by Matthew Quick. Another one not for me, although I might skim it...
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus and Nathaniel Fludd: Basilisk's Lair by R. L. LaFevers. Squees of excitement! I did a little happy dance right there in Houghton Mifflin's booth when they gave me these.
  • School! the adventures at the Harvey N. Trouble Elementary School by Kate McMullan. Interesting beginning chapter book.
  • Abigail Iris the pet project by Lisa Glatt. Another beginning chapter book.
  • Adventures of Nanny Piggins by R. A. Spratt. I thought this was a picturebook, but it's not. Huh.
  • Wide-Awake Princess by E. D. Baker. How did I miss this? She's got a new Frog Princess book out now that I totally missed. Did I forget to add her to my Author Alerts?
  • Dragonbreath: Attack of the Ninja Frogs by Ursula Vernon. Woot!
  • Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan. Not for me. Don't like apocalyptic stories or zombies or dystopias. Teen prize probably.
  • Strange case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger. This could be either really bad or really good in a weird way. Glad to have a chance to check it out.
  • Tilting house by Tom Llewellyn. Compares to Bellairs and I am a Bellairs fan.
  • Celestial Globe by Marie Rutkoski. Squee!!!
  • Buddy Files: Case of the Lost Boy by Dori Butler. This is an actual book, looks like a very nice beginning chapter book
  • Heist Society by Ally Carter. I was really surprised they had ARCs of this. I liked the first Gallagher Girls although I had some reservations, so I will read this before passing it on.
  • Thin Executioner by Darren Shan. This is definitely not for me.
  • Spells by Aprilynne Pike. Neither is this.
  • Not-so-great depression by Amy Koss. This is one my order list - Koss is very popular at my library - and I'm pleased to get a sneak peek
  • Thirteen Plus One by Lauren Myracle. This isn't for me.
  • Fizzy Whiz Kid by Maiya Williams. This looks good.
  • Vampire High: sophomore year by Douglas Rees. This isn't for me
  • Prince of Mist by Carlos Zafon. Neither is this. They kinda threw it at me.
  • Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce. Werewolves!
  • Something like fate by Susane Colasanti. Not for me. What? I don't read that much YA. And I need more ya books for summer reading giveaways.
  • Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. I'll try it.
  • Kiss by Jacqueline Wilson. Huh. Just realized this is YA. Whatever.
  • Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller. I thought she had written another Kiki Strike book! Sniff. I don't know whether I will get over the disappointment and read this - sounds like just another paranormal shtick.
  • Anxious hearts by Tucker Shaw. not for me
  • Honey Bees: Letters from the hive by Stephen Buchmann. I will probably pass this on, although I find it intriguing. Probably read it later when it comes out.
  • Gone by Lisa McMann. Not for me....
  • Fallen by Lauren Kate. I entertained my friend with impromptu readings and we were both in hysterics. I thought the dialogue was hilariously bad, the parts I skimmed. But it's recommended by P. C. Cast so....anyways, it's a signed hardback and will be a VERY popular prize with our teens....*reads in loud swoony voice* "Was she scared? Of course not. She was with Daniel. Finally. In his arms. The truer question pulling at the back of her mind was: Should she be scared?" *snicker*
  • Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta. I've heard interesting reviews about this.
  • Doodlebug: My book in drawing and writing by Karen Young.
  • Cloud Pavilion by Laura Joh Rowland. Adult book. Not for me
  • Bride Collector by Ted Dekker. Uh, they kinda threw this one at me. Whatever.
  • Voices of dragons by Carrie Vaughn. I kinda liked a couple of her books, will try this one.
  • Drizzle by Kathleen van Cleve. more middle grade fantasy. great cover.
  • Animal Tales: pup who cried wolf by Chris Kurtz. mmm, might be good.
  • So punk rock by Micol Ostow. not for me
  • Adventures of Jack Lime by James Leck. Realized afterwards it's another hard-boiled detective book for kids. This genre makes no sense to me. Not for me
  • How to ruin your boyfriend's reputation by Simone Elkeles. We don't have enough Elkeles. This is a real book. Nice!
  • Black is for beginnings by Laurie Faria Stolarz. mmm, I didn't really like this graphic novel, but I think you gotta read her other books first.
  • Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater. In case you hadn't noticed, Flux was giving away free, real books!
  • Dragons of Darkness by Antonia Michaelis. too high fantasy for my taste
  • Palace beautiful by Sarah Williams. The premise is intruiging, but I don't like the cover.
  • Fire opal by Regina McBride. Not for me.
  • Attack of the fluffy bunnies by Andrea Beatty.
  • Dragon Ball the adventure begins. a little chapter book. summer reading prize.
  • Fat Vampire by Adam Rex. Score! I will read anything he writes, even in genres or with plots I wouldn't normally read.
  • Melonhead and the Big Stink by Katy Kelly. I am soooo happy to have this! I loooove Melonhead!!
  • Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler. Yeah, I've already ordered it for us, but I love the cover....
  • Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones. I've been assured the cover's not final, which is good b/c it's very not poppping and I totally missed it the first time I went to Harpercollins!
  • Perchance to dream by Lisa Mantchev. Not for me b/c I haven't read the first one.
Miscellaneous other loot:
  • LibraryThing t-shirt. The one I got at the last ALA has become mysteriously stained. Possibly because I loved it so much I wore it pretty much every day for months.
  • Posters. Some I will hang up at the library, some I will share with other librarians, some I will put up at home.
  • I actually scored an ARC of Calamity Jack, but I gave it to my fantabulous friend, b/c it's actually arrived at our library, just not catalogued yet.
  • A couple N Take tote bags. These were real life savers b/c I used them after my duffle ripped - I put all the books in them and knotted the handles and stuck them into the duffle bag. And they're every bit as sturdy as the salesguy claimed!
  • Shark vs. Train magnets!
  • Penguin temp tattoo!
  • Various buttons, including Vladimir Tod
  • Lots of bookmarks and discussion guides
  • January/February Horn Book
  • other stuff which is probably in the pile on my desk but I'm going to bed.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm laughing because I don't like my cover either. It looks like a Sunday School manual to me--very safe and very wholesome, but not much substance. I'm hoping people can look past it to what's inside. We'll see. Thanks for putting it on your list!

-Sarah DeFord Williams
Palace Beautiful

Jennifer said...

Yeah, everything goes so fast at ALA I really go by covers - luckily my friend grabbed a copy and when we were going through each other's stuff to see what we'd missed I realized I needed one. Better luck with the paperback! (-:)

Ms. Yingling said...

I'm going to have to print this out and add so many things to my TBR list. Thanks for keeping me current, and sorry about the orange juice this morning! ;-)

Kiki Strike said...

If you give the Eternal Ones a shot, I promise I'll write another Kiki. (Actually, there's already one in the works.) I can't guarantee you'll like it, but I'm pretty sure it's not exactly the shtick you're expecting. (And if it is, I'd like to know!)

Thanks for picking it up!

Kirsten Miller

Jennifer said...

All right! It's a deal! Kiki Strike always goes with me to my 5th grade and middle school summer reading promotion school visits - we have a lot of love for those stories here! I put Eternal Ones on my to read list, instead of popping it right into the summer prize pile (-:)

Kiki Strike said...

Cool! I would really love to know your honest thoughts. You'll be one of the first librarians to read it. (You do know that it's not middle grade, right? It's a bit much for fifth graders.)

Kirsten

Jennifer said...

Yep, I saw that it is YA. And I promise to be honest (-:) I generally include in my reviews a "library view" whether or not I personally like a book, i.e. patrons who like x will like this book, recommend this to kids interested in x subjects and so on.

Ms. Yingling said...

Yeay! I went through all the books and added a huge number to my TBR. This is the only time I've ever felt like I should head to midwinter...loot! There were even a few funny books for boys, which are my focus for the week!Thank you!!!!!