Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Because I am bored and hungry and the other stuff I have to do today I have to do at my other desk

I am looking at the NYT bestsellers list. I check it occasionally anyways.

Picturebooks:
  • Lego Star Wars. Umm...this is NOT a picturebook. Non-fiction sort of.
  • Waddle. This is a boardbook mostly.
  • Listen to the wind for miniature minds is still here.
  • Family Huddle is still here. shudder.
  • Lion and the Mouse. That's nice to see.
  • Gallop. This is also mostly a boardbook. At least, that's where we shelve them.
  • Otis by Loren Long. I didn't like this one. Didn't buy it.
  • Nubs. This isn't really a picturebook either.
  • Skippyjon Jones, Lost in spice. Look, a real picturebook! Nah, we don't have it. Gonna be a while before I get through weeding and revamping my picturebooks and can start buying series-that-never-end
  • The little prince, pop-up edition. This is not a picturebook. It's not even based on a picturebook.
Obviously, the NYT bestsellers list needs a separate list for "stuff that parents buy for their kids instead of picturebooks but which aren't picturebooks". Best-selling book novelties is the title that spring to mind.

2 comments:

Playing by the book said...

How depressing is this list! I've just tried to find something similar for the UK but haven't been successful - I'm sure the picture (no pun intended) is very similar,

Playing by the book said...

Ahh. now found something silimar - not picture books, but just "children's books"


1 Eclipse Meyer, Stephenie
2 Twilight Meyer, Stephenie
3 New Moon Meyer, Stephenie
4 New Moon Meyer, Stephenie
5 Beano Annual:2010 D.C.Thomson
6 Breaking Dawn Meyer, Stephenie
7 Peppa Pig: The Official Annual:2010:Peppa Pig Ladybird Books Ltd
8 Hannah Montana Annual:2010,,Egmont Books
9 Official Doctor Who Annual The:2010:
10 Ben 10 Alien Force Annual: 2010 Egmont Books

So apart from Stephanie Meyer, everything else is tv or film spinoffs, with one exception, The Beano - a long running comic (and probably bought by adults for adults on a nostalgia trip).

Info came from http://www.nielsenbookscan.co.uk/