Thursday, January 14, 2010

A collection of picture books and some obsessive worrying

I'm cleaning out my stack of picture books from the library in an attempt to calm my pre-flight jittery nerves. Not working. No, in case you're wondering, I'm not scared of flying. I'm scared of:
  1. My alarm not going off and me oversleeping and missing my flight and then what will I do?
  2. Getting lost on the way there
  3. Getting lost finding the parking lot
  4. Figuring out how to check in. I only fly every couple years and everything is completely different each time.
  5. Being late and missing my flight.
  • Hooray for Fall by Kazuo Iwamura. This is one of a series of season books featuring a cheerful family of squirrels. Each one has a funny motif - in spring, it's what birds eat, in winter it's being cold, in fall it's changing colors. Sweet and funny.
  • Tiger who came to tea by Judith Kerr. Now this is a classic. Vivid colors and a delightfully silly but logical story of a hungry tiger.
  • Cool Cat by Nonny Hogrogian. Lovely wordless story of a cat creating a lush, living landscape out of the barren earth.
  • In my dreams I can fly by Eveline Hasler and Kathi Bhend. Odd story of a worms, a caterpillar and a grub underground during the winter. Somewhat charming pictures, but a confusing - or innovative - plot. I'm not sure which.
  • Heidi by Johanna Spyri, illustrated by Maja Dusikova. The illustrations are lovely, soft pastoral landscapes. There's no info. on who abridged the story, but I found it choppy. It's hard to squash a fairly lengthy novel into a picturebook.
  • Gumdrop: the adventures of a vintage car by Val Biro. An Australian friend recommended this to me. Charming, with vintage illustrations that are still bright and attractive. Lots of details of the car which would definitely catch the eye of machine-minded children.
Still jittery....I am going to try to get some sleep you'll hear from me on Monday!
Unless I oversleep and get lost and miss my flight and never get there at all!!

No comments: