Saturday, January 23, 2010

More Village Fiction!

I tag "village fiction" a unique British genre that details life in British villages, usually from the viewpoint of an educated, but not upper class person, such as Miss Read (school teacher), James Herriot (veterinarian), Nicholas Rhea (village constable), and the newest series I have discovered, Fred Secombe (curate/vicar). I love the little details of the life, the gentle humor, and the cheerful, matter-of-fact approach to everyday life. Yes, there are tragedies. We sniffle a little and life continues. There are arguments and bad feelings. We smooth them down and go on. And there is humor in everyday occurrences and a little romance to make life glamorous. Sigh. Oddly enough, the main format I seem to find these in is large print, through inter-library loan. Apparently, they generally appeal to older people. So, either I'm wise beyond my years or I'm approaching early senility....

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

One you might like, if you haven't found it already, is The Scent of Water, by Elizabeth Goudge.

Jennifer said...

Hmm, I've read quite a few of Elizabeth Goudge's books, but not that one. I'll add it to the list!

Charlotte said...

Scent of Water is far and away her "village-est." It's a great comfort read!