Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lexile Laughs

I keep a notebook of lexiles of our new books because the schools here are deeply entrenched in Scholastic's Reading Counts program. I make the list by lexile number and then alphabetically by author. This creates hilarious "lexile friends" which I was noticing as I printed out the updated lists today.

Pam Bachorz' Candor and Judy Blume's Friend or Fiend with the Pain and the Great One. Note that Judy Blume is 360 - a whole 10 points higher than Candor!

Dashka Slater's The Sea Serpent, a charming picturebook about friendship and letting go, sits cozily side by side with Cynthia Leititch Smith's Eternal, a seething paranormal romance with vampires and angels. Eternal is 690, a whole 30 points higher than Sea Serpent!

and my favorite of all pairings...Pamela Duncan Edwards' alliterative picturebook, Princess Pigtoria and the Pea, sits cozily beside Amy Efaw's hard-hitting teen novel, After. Pigtoria, by the way, is 70 points higher than After.

2 comments:

Terry Doherty said...

Oh, how timely ... I'd love to hear your thoughts about lexile. I recently discovered that the lexile is listed with books on bn.com. The system seems awkward to me.

Jennifer said...

Ah the evil pointlessness of lexiles...I could go on forever. Perhaps someday I will. But for now, I will simply point out that the Sugar Creek Gang series has a higher reading level than Lord of the Rings.