Saturday, April 17, 2010

I Can Read: A Carnival Celebrating New Readers

I am hosting my first carnival ever! It's my turn to host the new I Can Read! carnival. Let's celebrate easy readers, beginning chapter books, and the delight of new readers!

The basics: The Reading Tub has the introduction and explanation if you're not sure what an easy reader or beginning chapter book is. You can also send posts related to new readers and beginning literacy! Remember, you can also submit posts published last year - April 2009!

Leave your post in the comments!

Easy Readers
The Reading Tub has a review of A Sick Day for Amos McGee, a picture book well-suited for early readers. Says Terry, "It is a picture book, but it has all the elements of a great easy reader: fun story, lots of repeated sight words, and illustrations that help kids decode some of the bigger text."

Mary Ann at Great Kid Books has a review of Mo Willems' newest series, Cat the Cat. These are marvelous books both for reading aloud to toddlers and preschoolers and for very early literacy! I'm already wearing out our copies and they haven't even been catalogued yet! You picked a winner, Mary Ann!

Becky at Young Readers has reviewed Porky and Bess by Ellen Weiss. This was a new one to me - Thanks Becky!

Anastasia Suen at Five Great Books, looks at five great books about spring - including easy readers, both fiction and non-fiction, and chapter books!

Beginning Chapter BooksThe Book Chook has a review of the Pony Patch Collection for all those horse loving beginning chapter book readers out there!

I've collected a series of short reviews of various beginning chapter books I posted last April.

Early Literacy and other posts related to beginning readers
Amanda at The Literary Family has a great post on introducing children to early readers and organizing your child's home library.

I showcase three nonfiction books (two of them in series) that encourage early readers to explore nonfiction and offer tips on how adults can interact with children in reading this books.

7 comments:

Becky said...

I've reviewed Porky and Bess at Young Readers.

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

I reviewed Cat the Cat, Who Is That, Mo Willem's new series for early readers.

http://greatkidbooks.blogspot.com/2010/03/cat-cat-who-is-that.html

Thanks for hosting! this is a great idea,

Mary Ann

Terry Doherty said...

Thanks for hosting Jennifer! I just read A Sick Day for Amos McGee for another project. It is a picture book, but it has all the elements of a great easy reader: fun story, lots of repeated sight words, and illustrations that help kids decode some of the bigger text. I don't have it up on the blog (yet) it's up on our site: http://www.thereadingtub.com/displayBook.asp?id=1942

Amanda Hartman said...

i have written about reading the brand new readers and organziing your libraries at home.

http://theliteraryfamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-can-i-read-organize-your-childs.html

5greatbooks said...

Thanks for hosting, Jennifer! I have two chapter books, two easy readers and a picture book for my 5 Great Books About Spring

The Book Chook said...

I heard your plea from across the waters, and want to share my review of a beginning chapter book, or junior novel. It's The Pony Patch Collection.
http://www.thebookchook.com/2010/03/book-review-pony-patch-collection.html

Thanks for hosting!

elisabethreads said...

Oh, yay! I'm thrilled to see this, since beginning readers aren't my forte (give me grades three to nine any day), and it's great to find good ones!