Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Squirrel's Birthday and other stories by Toon Tellegen, illustrated by Jessica Ahlberg


Fuse #8 was very enthusiastic about this, and I did think it had an elusive charm.

Unfortunately, it eluded me. I could see how they started out as stories told to a child at bedtime and they would be great read-alouds. They're sweet and simple and delicately charming. I'm just doubtful about what age would be interested in reading them on their own. They're about the right length for a beginning chapter book, but too slow-moving and whimsical to appeal to most children in that reading range. I think if I was going to get just one "cute and sweet" book it would probably be Tumtum and Nutmeg by Emily Bearn, which has a bit more plot and substance.

Verdict: Attractive, but not to a wide enough group to justify buying it
ISBN: 978-1906250935; Published November 2009 by Boxer Books; Borrowed from the library

No comments: