Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Changeless by Gail Carriger

So, I broke down and bought Soulless without reading it first and I loved, loved, loved it. So, I pre-ordered Changeless. And then I had to wait because I'd lent Soulless to various people and I needed to read it again before I read Changeless and then I wasn't quite in the mood and anyways I reread Soulless and read Changeless last night.

So, I am reading along, thinking "dirigible, nice, ooo new parasol, argh, annoying werewolf, make him tell you things now! Ivy is getting very annoying" no, my thoughts are not chronological. And I am perfectly happy, because it is not as funny and delightfully fluffish as the first book, but still quite enjoyable and it is, after all, the second book in a series, which are generally the bridging books and just there to get you to the good stuff in the third book and then I came to the end and

WHA-A-A??? I mean, she...he..and what about the poisoning part and the missing notebook? And that is, like, a horrible romance cliche, because I've read it in at least three historical romances and considering I don't generally read historical romances that's a lot. Well, ok, it was a good plot device to move on and Alexia's attitude makes it not so bad, but..but..but...how could you do that to Alexia? How will she ever trust him again? And how will the giant I-Can't-Stand-To-Be-Near-It mummy issue work? AND HOW AM I GOING TO LAST UNTIL SEPTEMBER TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT??

I am coming after you with a parasol Ms. Carriger. I bet you are sitting out there giggling at all us hapless readers right now. Grrr.
  • Source: My hard-earned cash
  • Verdict: I recommend you wait and buy it next September so you can read the next book at the same time, because what are the odds of two such shattering endings in the same series?

1 comment:

NatalieSap said...

Oh, I had very similar reactions. Took me awhile to get into this one, but when I was nearing the end, I wildly flipped through to find out what would happen. Only to realize that I may very well hate the third book - I quite enjoy their bickering relationship, but I don't know that I could handle a freeze-out. Ah, oh well - I will, of course, read it just the same.