Friday, December 25, 2009

Polo and the Dragon & Polo and the Magician by Regis Faller

Two more Polo books! I've very fond of these almost wordless picture books whose stories are told in comic panels. I am still secretly planning to buy the rest of this series for the library and move them out of picture books and into juvenile graphic novels to sit next to Owly. I think Polo and Owly could be good friends.

I loved Polo and the Dragon - it's the funniest one I've read so far and I was delighted to see some sentient art ala Harold in this story of unexpected weather and even more unexpected meetings!

Polo and the Magician wasn't one of my favorites - I couldn't decide if the Magician was being mean or not and he seemed kind of scary. Maybe because the colors seem to be a little darker in this one.


Verdict: Polo is great fun if you want to introduce young children to comics, like sly humor and delightful imagination, or enjoy simple adventures that end at home.

Polo and the dragon
ISBN: 978-1596434981; Published September 2009 by Roaring Brook; Borrowed from the library; Added to the library's wishlist

Polo and the magician
ISBN: 978-1596434974; Published September 2009 by Roaring Brook; Borrowed from the library; Added to the library's wishlist

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

OOOOOOOOOO! Two new Polo books! SQUEE! My boys love Polo, and this is very happy news.

(and I agree he'd get along well with Owly)

Marge Loch-Wouters said...

J'adore Polo!!!!!

Jennifer said...

Hmm, I had somehow gotten the feeling that Polo was not very popular, since there are so few copies in my system and I had to get these two through ILL. But maybe I can justify bumping them up on the wishlist to a higher spot...