Saturday, May 22, 2010

Summer Reading Begins...

With my first school visits of the year! Every year (this is only the third time, but you know what I mean) I load up my bags and visit as many classes at the schools in our city as possible. My first visit today was the local Catholic school, St. Patrick's. It has combined classes, preschool/kindergarten, 1st/2nd grade, 3rd/4th grade, 5th/6th grade, and 7th/8th grade.

Here's a couple of the favorites....The younger kids really, really went crazy for The Book That Eats People. I could hear them talking about it in the halls afterwards. I showed Nic Bishop's Marsupials to almost every class and the 3rd/4th graders had trouble controlling themselves when I read the weird names out loud!

There was lots of excitement over our new Star Wars comic series, Star Wars Adventures.

I read one of the latest Elephant and Piggie's to the point where Gerald screams "why why why...." and then told the kids they'd have to come to the library to find out why!

Everyone loved Dragonbreath, of course.


I actually got some reaction from the 5th/6th graders with Boys are Dogs - they were pretty quiet otherwise. Bearing in mind this school has no air-conditioning though....

I read part of the first chapter of Bad to the Bone to the...I think it was the 1st/2nd graders. They thought it was hilarious!

I was totally unprepared for the 7th and 8th graders. I didn't see them last year (I don't think I even saw the 5th/6th graders last year) and I just assumed I wouldn't see them this year. We will gently draw a veil over that last part of the visit.

On to the middle school tomorrow! Yay 100+ 6th graders!
Oh, and I plan to do a grand list of all the books I took and their booktalks when I finish my school visits next week.

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

No one is ever prepared for 7th and 8th graders. At this time of year, ours are so loud that they occasionally have "no talking" lunches. You were very brave!

Jennifer said...

Heh heh. Loud would have been an improvement. They just gave me what my mom always called "the duh stare." A strong inclination to smack some life into your audience isn't really good young adult librarianship...I got a few very faint smiles when I talked about Raina Telgemeier's Smile....oh well. I might have to see the 7th and 8th graders at the other parochial school, but otherwise I won't do anything else over 6th, and I really like 6th graders.