Sunday, June 20, 2010

Summer Reading Decorations

I finally got around to cleaning off the camera...so here are my library's summer decorations! This is the first year I've actually decorated anything, last year I just had a few kids do some drawings on giant sheets of paper for the windows, but since hardly anybody showed up they were mostly blank. Anyways...Most of our windows are done with streamers and fish. We used green and blue crepe and taped them to the window crosspiece, then taped foil fish (cut out with the die cut) into the streamers. When cutting foil with a die cut machine, make sure to sandwich it between regular paper! We also did two windows with under sea scenes, using crepe for sea weed and a bunch of red cellophane for jellies.

Our bulletin board (which no one ever looks at) and summer/water picturebook displays. That blue thing is a dolphin, but he had to be discarded b/c he kept deflating.

My new juvenile display! We stuck the balls to the shelves with packing tape and they've only been pulled off and played with a few times!

My "books to movies" display has a little surfboard that says "surf a book, surf a movie"

I added dark paper behind my regular nonfiction display and filled it with craft books

and this is the summer reading set up at the youth reference desk - the white cart is chapter books, the green cart is picturebooks, easy readers and nonfiction (all the kids get to pick a free book when they register). The boxes have reading bags for the different age levels and the brown box on the desk is prizes. That's the back of our cataloger, btw.
So there you have it! Of course, most of the actual work was done by my excellent aides, Ellen and Laura. I just waved my hands and said "do this" and "make it pretty". But the streamers were my idea.

4 comments:

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

I think I'm going to put blue and green crepe paper and foil fish on MY windows, Jennifer. The library looks great--thanks for posting the pictures.

Esme Raji Codell said...

Lovely and inspirational! Thank you for sharing!

峻龍 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

I'm glad you liked them! We also get a TON of sun through those windows, so it nicely toned down the heat as well. Have fun with it!