Thursday, September 2, 2010

Crushing the dreams of authors everywhere; or, cleaning off my collection development lists

This is how my collection development works. First, you have to bear in mind that I am SERIOUSLY OBSESSED with col. dev. One of my little dreams is to someday be the collection development librarian for a huge system and spend my days doing nothing but buying children's and young adult materials. Ahhhh. I spend my evenings perusing blogs and reviews, carry lists of starred materials with me everywhere, and reference my copious order lists at least once a week, if not more often.

So, how it works. I use BWI, which is an excellent vendor with strong customer service and they let you make as many lists/carts as you want! I have a list each for board books, picture books, easy readers, juvenile series, juvenile fiction, juvenile graphic novels, juvenile nonfiction, young adult fiction, young adult graphic novels, young adult nonfiction, and replacements. Whenever I see something I want, I put it on one of these lists. Then I have actual order lists, labeled by month, September 2010, etc. Then I have wishlists for each genre. And lists of series that need to be filled in. You get the picture?

So, at some point in the year, I have to clean out the wishlists. I can't start my new year of lovely col. dev. with over a yearly budget's worth of items in the wishlists. So I have to *sniff* clean them out. I'm doing it a little earlier this year, because I have spent every cent of my money, except the stuff on my September, October, and November/December order lists.

Of course, we're not counting stuff that's being published in 2011 which is already on the order lists. Anyhow, the moment has arrived when I decide which books get to shimmy onto the potential order lists for next year and which books we wave a fond farewell to as we release them into the mists of no-budget-left-alas. In other words, I'm now going to stare at the computer screen until my eyes bleed and my brain ferments.

Board books we said goodbye to. Maybe we just lost the spark. Maybe we see something shinier. Maybe someday we'll come upon these again and realize what treasures we lost...but for now, goodbye to:

  • Ladybug Girl dresses up by Jackie Davis
  • Skippyjon Jones (series)
  • Baby Animal Families by Gyo Fujikawa
  • Animals go and Animals talk by Emily Bolam
  • Bear at home by Stella Blackstone
  • Counting by Emily Bolam
  • Eat - Blue apple books
  • Little kitty & little puppy by Jane Feder
  • You are my I love you by Maryann Love
  • Sheep In A Shop by Nancy Shaw
  • I Can Eat A Rainbow :--A Fun Look At Healthy Fruits And Vegetables by Annabel Karmel
  • Signing Smart :--My First Signs by Michelle Anthony
I didn't keep anything on the lists for next year.
Picture books. I love, love, love picture books. It makes me sad to see some of them go. Almost all of these I read and liked. Many of them I reviewed. But some must go so that others may stay and so goodbye to:
  • Brand-New Baby Blues by Kathi Appelt
  • The Eraserheads by Kate Banks
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't) by Barbara Bottner
  • Snowmen All Year by Carolyn Buehner
  • One Pup's Up by Marsha Chall
  • Beach & Farm by Elisha Cooper
  • Hattie The Bad by Jane Devlin
  • Pet shop lullaby by Mary Fraser
  • There's Going To Be A Baby by John Burningham
  • Clarice Bean, What Planet Are You From? by Lauren Child
  • Magic Box :--A Magical Story by Katie Cleminson
  • Alfie Runs Away by Kenneth Cadow
  • Henry & The Buccaneer Bunnies by Carolyn Crimi
  • While The World Is Sleeping by Pamela Edwards
  • My Heart Is Like A Zoo by Michael Hall
  • Cupcake :--A Journey To Special by Charise Harper
  • Hooray (series) by Kazuo Iwamura
  • Mirror by Suzy Lee
  • Bridget's Beret by Tom Lichtenheld
  • Alphabet books by Jerry Pallotta (we own several, I was thinking of filling in the series)
  • It's a book by Lane Smith
  • Quiet book by Deborah Underwood
  • Otis & Sydney And The Best Birthday Ever by Laura Numeroff
  • Mazeways :--A To Z by Roxie Munro
  • Red Ted And The Lost Things by Michael Rosen
  • The Chicken Thief by Beatrice Rodriguez
  • Outfoxing The Fox by Friederike Rave
  • The Tyrannosaurus Game by Steven Kroll
  • The Monster Who Ate My Peas by Danny Schnitzlein
  • Brother Eagle, Sister Sky :--A Message From Chief Seattle illustrated by Susan Jeffers (this was a replacement for a damaged copy)
  • Dog And Bear :--Three To Get Ready by Laura Seeger
  • May There Always Be Sunshine :--A Traditional Song by Jim Gill
  • Soup Opera by Jim Gill (I've been meaning to get these since he visited us last year. Never have)
  • On A Windy Night by Nancy Day
  • Dark Night by Dorothee De Monfreid
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep by Emma Garcia
  • The Bear With Sticky Paws by Clara Vulliamy
  • Doctor & Firefighter Ted by Andrea Beaty
  • Panda & Polar Bear by Matthew Baek
  • The Secret Knowledge Of Grown-Ups by David Wisniewski
  • Little Rabbit And The Meanest Mother On Earth by Kate Klise
  • Mermaid Dance by Marjorie Hakala
  • Quackenstein Hatches A Family by Bardhan-Quallen, Sudipta
  • Butterfly birthday by Harriet Ziefert
  • Bats At The Ballgame by Brian Lies
  • Chicken dance by Tammi Sauer
Picture books that stayed on the list for next year - the few, the brave, the surivors:
  • 1 2 3 :--A Child's First Counting Book by Alison Jay
  • Feeding The Sheep by Leda Schubert
  • Red, Green, Blue: A First Book Of Colors by Alison Jay
  • Whopper Cake by Karma Wilson
  • Wonder bear by Nyeu, Tao
Picture books I want to see before deciding and if I decide yes will buy in 2011:
  • Children Make Terrible Pets by Peter Brown
  • Counting Goats by Mem Fox (illustrated by Jan Thomas)
  • Everything But The Horse by Holly Hobbie
  • Mad At Mommy by Sakai, Komako
  • Sneaky Sheep by Chris Monroe (why no more Monkey with a toolbelt?)
  • Two Dumb Ducks by Maxwell Eaton (and why no more Pinky and Max?)
Picture books being published in 2011 I will probably buy and so they're on the list:
  • Blue chameleon by Emily Gravett
  • Bring On Birds by Susan Stockdale
  • Froggy Goes To Hawaii by Jonathan London
  • Ladybug Girl And The Bug Squad Playdate by David Soman
  • Little white rabbit by Kevin Henkes
  • Mom: An Owner's Manual by Doreen Cronin
  • Silverlicious by Victoria Kann
  • Tallulah's Tutu by Marilyn Singer
  • Those Darn Squirrels And The Cat Next Door by Adam Rubin
  • What's in the egg, Little Pip? by Karma Wilson
  • You're finally here! by Melanie Watt
So...leave your horrified comments below. Argue for your favorites. Make a last-ditch stand for your beloved books. I have exactly 3.73 of my board book budget and 5.34 of my picture book budget left, so anything I add kicks something else off.

No comments: