Thursday, September 2, 2010

Crushing the dreams part 4

Juvenile fiction is HARD. I have a tendency to buy too much middle grade fantasy and not enough contemporary lit. But I don't feel the need to buy a lot of the starred review stuff - my library kids aren't generally interested in historical fiction etc. I can barely get One Crazy Summer to circulate! So. Here they go, sliding down the chute. Another library will get them perhaps, but not I:
  • Bamboo People by Mitali Perkins
  • The Dreamer by Pam Munoz Ryan
  • Ghost dog secrets by Peg Kehret
  • Ivy + Bean (I still want this series, but I don't feel my budget can handle buying THE ENTIRE THING)
  • Land of Elyon (We had a couple, one got stolen, they're not that popular anymore)
  • I'm not buying any more Judy Moody
  • No more sequels in the Simon Bloom series
  • Jenny Linsky/Cat Club series
  • Wide-Awake Princess by E. D. Baker
  • House of dolls by Francesca Lia Block
  • Final cut by Fred Bowen
  • War games by Couloumbis, Audrey
  • Midnight curse by L. Falcone
  • The Truth About Horses, Friends, & My Life As A Coward by Sarah Gibson
  • Theodore Boone :--Kid Lawyer by John Grisham
  • Unearthly Asylum by Bracegirdle
  • Phineas L. Macguire (nobody looks at this one other than to say the kid looks like Harry Potter. won't buy the sequels. phooey)
  • The Little Bookroom :--Eleanor Farjeon's Short Stories For Children Chosen By Herself
  • Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (maybe if it had a better cover...)
  • The Bear That Wasn't by Frank Tashlin (I was looking at the New York Review Collection)
  • Kid vs. Squid by Van Eekhout, Greg
  • Middleworld by Voelkel, Jon
  • Crowfield Curse by Pat Walsh
  • Mysterious Howling by MaryRose Wood
  • Bobby Vs. Girls (Accidentally) by Lisa Yee
  • Misty Gordon And The Mystery Of The Ghost Pirates by Kim Kennedy
  • Princess And The Goblin by George McDonald
  • Word After Word After Word by Maclachlan, Patricia
  • Fantastic Secret Of Owen Jester by Barbara O'Connor
  • Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter
  • No Such Thing As Dragons by Philip Reeve
  • Walls Within Walls by Maureen Sherry
  • Adventures of Benny by Steve Shreve
  • Familiars by Epstein
  • Framed by Gordan Korman (i'd like to get some of his other series)
  • Boom!, Or, (70,000 Light Years) by Mark Haddon (I loved it soo much. But that cover...)
  • As Simple As It Seems by Sarah Weeks
  • Bull rider by Williams, Suzanne
  • Countdown by Deborah Wiles
  • Otherworldlies by Jennifer Kogler
  • Turtle In Paradise by Jennifer Holm
Juvenile series-that-aren't-real-series because they're in juvenile fiction and which I still plan to fill in next year and sequels we didn't manage to get this year but I really, really promise we'll get in 2011 and survivors from the wishlist which managed to scrape onto next year's list:
  • How to train your dragon (only need 2 more volumes!)
  • Warriors (there are also more of these. every time I think I've bought them all another one appears)
  • Pendragon by MacHale (we're missing two)
  • Charlie Bone (we're only missing one)
  • Sisters Grimm (need 4 - but kids keep asking for this one)
  • Wild Times At The Bed & Biscuit by Joan Carris
  • Dragon Codices (we only have one, but it's been quite popular and these are very affordable)
  • E. Nesbit - going to get her classics from the New York Review collection
  • The Reinvention Of Moxie Roosevelt by Elizabeth Kimmel
  • Abigail Iris by Lisa Glatt
  • Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White
  • Comet In Moominland by Tove Jansson
  • Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling
  • Worry week by Lindbergh, Anne
  • Batboy and Hero by Lupica
  • Archvillain by Barry Lyga
  • Prince among frogs
  • Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay
  • Palace Beautiful by Sarah Williams (I'm waiting for the paperback)
Juvenile fiction I want to look at when it's pub'd this fall and if it's good will buy next year:
  • The dead boys by Buckingham, Royce
  • Secret Life Of Ms. Finkleman by Ben Winters
  • The Ghost Of Crutchfield Hall by Mary Hahn
  • War horse by Morpurgo, Michael
  • Magnificent 12 by Michael Grant (the next 39 clues?)
  • Search for Wondla by DiTerlizzi
  • Girls' Best Friend by Leslie Margolis
Juvenile fiction being pub'd in 2011 which I will probably buy:
  • Ten by Lauren Myracle
  • Spaceheadz : Book #2! by Jon Scieszka
  • Maybelle At The Fair by Katie Speck
  • Dragonbreath: Lair Of The Bat Monster by Ursula Vernon
Argue for your favorites? Think something should have been saved for next year's list? Let me know!

5 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

I don't see Palace Beautiful checking out-- if my hard back doesn't (got at book look)I should send it to you. Anything by Lyga I look at carefully. War Games was interesting, but didn't have enough action. You list looks very reasonable. The new one by Royce Buckingham looks good.

Charlotte said...

Oh, another Dragonbreath! goody!

I'll put in a small appeal for Jenny Linsky--my 7 year old boy enjoyed her very much, and reports that two of the girls in his class are currently reading her...

Charlotte said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

Oops, got your comment twice. You know there's a Dragonbreath coming out this fall too, right? Curse of the Were-Wiener! I love Jenny Linsky myself - we own a collection of her stories and it doesn't circulate. But, it is rather dingy. I hope to someday replace all our classics with shiny new editions...

Jennifer said...

Palace Beautiful has an unfortunate cover - I gave the ARC to a couple girls though and they LOVED it. I'm waiting for the paperback in hopes of a more snappy cover.

The Royce Buckingham sounds really, really creepy - the kids will love it. They recently stole all my Alvin Schwartz Scary Stories, so obviously they need more scary stories...