Sunday, September 12, 2010

Dotty craft ideas and...the winner!!

I got a lot of great book-based, imaginative play ideas inspired by the Dotty blog tour! Here is a list of all the fun suggestions:

I had our first grade classes create "Creatures that ate the Teacher" from the Jack Prelutsky poem.

Ever since we read The Magic Hat by Mem Fox, illustrated by Tricia Tusa, I've wanted to craft our own blue hat similar to the one illustrated in the book. Then we could have it fly from person to person, and using our imaginations, pretend that it changes each wearer into an animal of his/her choice. Or, it would also be fun to have each child make their own "magic hat."

During the crafting and pretend play I'd put on Laurie Berkner's "This Hat" song. The song reminds me a little of Fox's book.

We like Emma Dodd's Dog's Colorful Day--white dog, add spots and blotches. Or Elmer the patchwork elephant.

We're focusing on Pinkalicious this week, so pink cupcakes are way in, plus color mixing - painting pink flowers, counting pink pompoms, etc. And we made a doctor's black bag, too.

We made and decorated our own cookies with friends after reading "If you give a mouse a cookie."

Our best effort, I think, was the Amos and Boris paper on popsicle stick puppets.

After reading Fantastic Beasts (my son's currently obsessed with monsters and mythical creatures), we free handed monsters and dragons with sharpies and then painted with water colors. We also designed the castles they protect!

We read "The Polar Express" when the train is around the tree at Christmas.

Clifford has inspired many creative drawings over the years in our house.

After I read Goldilocks to my preschoolers, I let them act the story out. They can take turns playing different roles.

After reading the book: "Knut" (How one little polar bear captivated the world) we planned a trip to the zoo.

And the winner is.....CLARILINE with her Jack Prelutsky craft! Clariline, please email me your address (jeanlittlelibrary(at)gmail(dot)com) and I'll let Abrams know you're the chosen one for a copy of Dotty!

No comments: