Sunday, November 21, 2010

Everything Else: Cybils Nominations, G

The reading continues...and continues...and continues...I wish I could put cover pics in these, but the thought of the time it would take to find and add them all makes me moan. Sorry folks.

  • Garmann's Street by Stian Hole. Pigman, picturebook style. A boy gives into peer pressure and basically sets an old man's yard on fire. This was a very, very strange book and I thought the illustrations were unnattractive verging on creepy. Maybe it would make more sense if I'd read the first Garmann book, but I can't imagine handing this to children, especially young children. Borrowed from library.

  • The Golden Pathway by Donna McDine. Although this book was nominated in the picturebook category, the publisher suggests it for ages 8 - 12. It's definitely not appropriate for younger children, as it includes descriptions of a slave being beaten. The author's intentions are good, trying to tell the story of a boy who fights back against his father's abuse by helping slaves escape, but the writing is labored and filled with cliches and unrealistic dialogue. Picture books for readers above 2nd grade are always a hard sell and this isn't one I would choose. Not recommended. Reviewed from pdf supplied by publisher.

  • Gracias/Thanks by Pat Mora. At this point Blogger deletes my reviews. I scream in frustration. I can't face writing them again! So...this is a really cool book, I like the illustrations, basically a little boy talks about things he's grateful for, but it's also very funny, and it would be great to read around Thanksgiving and have kids make their own lists. I recommend it. Review copy received from Lee and Low.
  • Grandma's pear tree/El Peral de Abuela by Suzanne Santillan. Already had this review written in another place so I could copy it again. This is the same publisher as The Little Weed Flower, but I would recommend this bilingual story. It has a brisk, folktale-ish repetition and a healthy dose of humor. The Spanish words are seeded a little awkwardly in the text, but most children will still be able to follow the story and pick up some basic Spanish vocabulary. The illustrations are rather heavy on the yellow and green shades, but have a pleasantly humorous appeal. I'd be interesting in seeing more from this author.
  • Groundhog Weather School by Joan Holub. Why, blogger, why? Anyways, this book is packed full of facts about groundhogs, mammals, weather, seasons, shadows, and more. It's a very busy style with panels, speech bubbles, etc. so not really a good choice for storytime, but perfect for classroom use where you have more time, or one-on-one reading. Recommended. Borrowed from library.
I'm going to bake another 5 gingerbread houses and sulk before I write any more reviews. *retires, muttering*

No comments: