Thursday, January 13, 2011

ALA Midwinter

Where to begin? Well....books are always a great place! Lots of my books are on their way - I mailed about 80 lbs! But I brought the SPECIAL ones back with me in my suitcase. So, here is the first list of ARC loot!
  • Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gulledge (Really, really looking forward to reviewing this graphic novel. It is amazing! I went back and got a second ARC b/c it was sooooo good and I have a friend who will really, really love it and I might do a giveaway on the blog of mine)

  • A Million Miles from Boston by Karen Day (lots of girl+beach+divorce/family issues books. Haven't read this one yet)

  • Squish: Super Amoeba by Jennifer & Matt Holm (It's fun, although it doesn't quite measure up to Babymouse.)

  • Genius Files: Mission Impossible by Dan Gutman (there will definitely be a giveaway of this title, because I somehow ended up with two and then I got another one from LT early reviewers. And I'm not that thrilled with it. Tell you why later.)

  • Murder in vein by Sue Ann Jaffarian (adult book! vampire mystery!)

  • Tink by Bodil Bredsdorff (as soon as I read and review this one, it's a special present for a special blogger, who is very excited about it! I'm excited to read the third book in the Children of Crow Cove series!)

  • Tortall and other tales by Tamora Pierce (squee!!)

  • Nathaniel Fludd Beastologist: Unicorn's Tale by R. L. LaFevers

  • When life gives you O.J. by Erica Perl

  • Junonia by Kevin Henkes (another beach+girl+family book. Kinda liked it)

  • Shark bait by Justin D'Ath (i just looooove these books so much, I wanted to give one away as a summer reading prize and they let me have an extra one!)

  • What happened to goodbye by Sarah Dessen (down bloggers! this is a special present for another friend. I liked the Sarah Dessen book I read, but I don't really do ya, so probably won't do more than skim it)

  • Astronaut Academy by Dave Roman (don't really like it so far, but I'll give it another chance)

  • Zita the spacegirl by Ben Hatke (like! like! like!)

  • Mal and Chad by Stephen McCranie (like!)

  • Horton Halfpott by Tom Angleberger (I'll give it a chance)
  • Liar, Liar by Gary Paulsen (I'm really loving his shorter chapter books)
  • Death Catchers by Jennifer Ann Kogler (I don't like Arthurian...but I did like her previous fantasy, Otherworldlies)
  • Alien Envoy by Pamela Service (yayyyyyy!!!!)
  • Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis (FINALLY!!! I have been waiting for this book for almost two years!)
  • House to die for by Vicki Doudera (adult. looks fun)
  • Trouble with chickens by A. J. Cronin (awww, man. it's faux noir. Grrr. I'll give it a chance though)
  • Lexie by Audrey Couloumbis, with illustrations by Julia Denos! (already read it, loved, loved, loved it)
  • Calli be gold by Michele Hurwitz (really liked it)
  • Fourth stall by Chris Rylander
  • Girl who circumnavigated Fairyland in a ship of her own making by Catherynne Valente (great title!)
  • Theodosia and the last pharoah by R. L. LaFevers (happy dance! happy happy happy dance!)
  • Sir Gawain the true by Gerald Morris (not my favorite, but best rendition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight in beginning chapter book form. Not to mention the only one)
By the way, you'll notice I've read quite a few of these already....see, unless you're into night life (which I'm not, but I can attest that San Diego does, in fact, have a vibrant night life, since 90% of it passed under our hotel window every night) there's not much to do in the evenings after a conference except read the books you got that day. It's kind of nice. No distractions, just great gulps of reading.
Anyways, I brought back a bunch of F&Gs, and some other stuff, but this is mainly what was in my suitcase.

9 comments:

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

Oh, you did get a lot of great ARCS! I'm going to have to stalk the other blogger who's getting Tink--I love the Crow Cove books. We're fans of Gerald Morris, too, but I think my son may have outgrown them during the long wait between the second (Lancelot) and this third one. Can't wait to read your reviews!

Kate Coombs said...

It's official--I just turned green! Especially for the Sara Dessen and Catherynne Valente books... Though I have to tell you, I cheated and ordered Kat, Incorrigible from England a few months ago. :)

Jennifer said...

It's Charlotte - the two of you introduced me to Crow Cove and I am so greatful! Maybe your son is almost ready for Gerald Morris' older series? I could never get into them, but I'm not really an Arthurian/medieval kind of person.

I almost ordered Kat a million times but never quite did...and now I have my reward *sighs happily* The Valente looks really fun, I can't wait to read it. I skimmed the Sara Dessen, rather closely and it's good - it's going to another librarian friend of mine who couldn't make the conference.

Ms. Yingling said...

Phew. I brought up Follett's Titlewave right next to your blog and added 15 books to my "read first" list. Glad you got some good swag.

Terry Doherty said...

"Big gulps of reading" - love that! So vivid! Great teases with your initial reactions, too. Can't wait to see full reviews.

Charlotte said...

Lovely books (especially Tink!) I will share it with you, Anamaria, when I'm done! Thanks, Jennifer!

Jennifer said...

I wish I could have gotten two, but there was only one - and I got it on the last day! I'm still not sure I was supposed to take it but it was lying there and nobody was watching and...

erica said...

So glad you got an ARC of When Life Give You O.J. Happy to do a giveaway if you like it (as we did with DOTTY), so let me know!
Best,
Erica

Jennifer said...

Cool! I've only skimmed it in bits, but I like it so far!