Thursday, January 6, 2011

Collection Development 2011: YA Sequels and paranormal

As I promised, lists! These are YA sequels I think we absolutely have to have:

  • Exiled Queen (sequel to something Cinda Chima wrote. I think. I have a couple teens who are majorly into her fantasies)
  • Ghost hunter by Paver (periodically get waves of requests for this series)
  • Plague by Michael Grant (I still think the Gone series has awful covers, but that doesn't stop them from checking out regularly every 3 weeks, so this one stays on the list)
  • Afterlife by Claudia Gray (average popularity for a paranormal, but that's very popular! Plus, the subheading says "conclusion" so apparently Evernight is just a quartet and I should have the whole thing. Although at the moment we're missing Hourglass because somebody left it in the rain and it MOLDED and nobody noticed until it was Too Late to charge the offender. Anyways. Fair warning Ms. Gray, if you change your mind and continue the series I will send you baaaaaad vibes!)
  • Angel by Patterson (People will want it. I must buy it. I refuse to buy the Witch & Wizard series though. It stinks so bad I'd have to fumigate the teen area every time it was returned.)
  • City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare (Mortal Instruments hasn't been as popular as some series, although it has respectable circulation, but the upcoming movie makes this a must-buy, I think)
  • Darkest Mercy by Marr (These aren't HUGELY popular, but very decent circ. If this is going to be the final volume, I'll definitely buy it, but if the series is going to continue ad nauseam....I'm buying the graphic novels, does that count? on the other hand it's going to be a movie, so....yeah, I better buy it.)
  • Quicksilver Faire by Gillian Summers (patron request. I'll buy it.)
  • Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan (quite popular, and I love booktalking it "zombie apocalyptic romance" say it three times fast! plus, it's a trilogy, so I have to have the final volume. It better BE a trilogy Ms. Ryan *glares*)
Sequels I'm wavering on:
  • Eona by Goodman (Eon was very popular - went out 17 times since we got it June 09, and I have a lot of adults who want ya fantasy as well as teens. But I haven't had anyone specifically ASK for it...)
  • Vampire Diaries the Return by L. J. Smith. (ok, it was a patron request...last year. They have decent circ. but not as much as some other paranormal series)
  • Resurrection by Nancy Holder (I had a patron request for Nancy Holder and bought the first 4 Wicked novels in omnibus. They're not here yet, so we'll see how they circ. before buying this last volume)
Then we have paranormal in general:
  • Cloaked by Alex Flinn (not really paranormal, but sort of romantic fantasy...I don't seem to get as much interest for her lighter novels, the kids really like Breathing Underwater and Diva. Until she writes more in that vein I think I'll give her a miss.)
  • Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann (I don't see the massive popular love for McMann some librarians do, but she checks out frequently. But I've been seeing mixed reviews on this. I think I'll give it a miss unless a teen specifically requests it.)
  • Hold me closer necromancer by McBride (Kirkus didn't like it, but when do they ever? I think my Vladimir Todd fans would really go for this and besides...ya gotta love that title. We're getting it. A bit belatedly...but getting it.)
  • Once in a full moon by Ellen Schreiber (on the one hand, I can't keep her vampire books on the shelves. On the other hand...ANOTHER SERIES??? I will wait and see if any kids specifically request this one before starting yet another series.)
And this is what I've already ordered this year in paranormal:
  • Blessed by Cynthia Leititch Smith
  • Bloody Valentine by Melissa de la Cruz
  • Deadly little games by Laurie Stolarz (patron request)
  • Entice by Carrie Jones
  • Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
  • Shadows of the redwood by Gillian Summers (patron request)
  • Wicked (first two omnibuses) by Nancy Holder (patron request)

1 comment:

challengingthebookworm said...

I had to laugh at your comments regarding James Patterson's Witch and Wizard. I waited weeks for my crack at my local library's copy, and regretted it almost immediately. I told my coworker to not bother with the sequel (and we've laughed together over the reviews). I hope you take comfort in the fact that you're not alone in your decision.

Here's my review (if you haven't read the book already): http://challengingthebookworm.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/witch-and-wizard/