Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Collection Development 2011: YA everything else

And now...everything else! The decisions, the decisions....should I just let stuff go that I didn't buy last year even if everyone says it's amazing? Fewer new books, more older books? This is what I have so far:
  • Annexed by Sharon Dogar (I know everyone says this is amazing, but I just can't see my teens reading it. Interest in Anne Frank seems to spike around 5th grade and taper off after that. I've moved this on and off lists for months and I think it's going off.)
  • Battle Dress by Amy Efaw (her After was very popular and we have a fairly large military population here, I've met several teen girls who are thinking about military careers so I think this is a good choice. Plus, paperback!)
  • Beauty Queens by Libba Bray (Going Bovine wasn't popular, but her previous trilogy was and the premise of this sounds potentially interesting. On the list for now, I'll want to see more reviews)
  • Big crunch by Pete Hautman (This sounds really, really good. I'm thinking it might make a good book discussion group for the teen book club I plan to have this coming summer. Anyone else think so?)
  • Blank Confession by Pete Hautman (We sort of...missed a bunch of Hautman. But I'm definitely buying Big Crunch and probably some others, so we'll let this one go.)
  • Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles (Waiting to see what it's about - if it's like Perfect Chemistry, we will get it, b/c my teens went CRAZY for that one. Her funny ones, not so much)
  • Circuit by Jiminez (We missed out on a bunch of classic multicultural stuff too. Our high school has a lit. unit on...I don't remember what they call it, race, religion, controversial stuff basically. Anyways. They gave us the reading list and while a lot of it was adult, there was a portion that was young adult and were almost all things we should have had, but somehow didn't. Anyways, this counts as "school required")
  • Dark song by Gail Giles (meant to get this last year, as one of my teen boys was very into Giles, but it got squeezed out. I still plan to get it - lots of teens like the dark issues style and Giles does it well)
  • Department 19 by Will Hill (Sort of like Alex Rider meets Vladimir Tod, but I got Alex Van Helsing: Vampire Rising and it's really popular, so I don't think I need this one too)
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth (sounds interesting. will wait to see more reviews)
  • Drought by Pam Bachorz (Candor was really popular - it was stolen! and dystopias are big, so I think I'll get this one)
  • Emperor of Nihon-Ja by Flanagan (Sigh. I stopped buying Ranger's Apprentice b/c someone was donating them, one by one. Then they stopped donating them and I kinda stopped buying them b/c I didn't get a feel that any of the kids were asking for them, and then they WERE and then they stole some of them, so now I'm buying the series again. And, of course, now we're missing volumes in the middle. Argh!)
  • Enclave by Aguirre (sounded interesting but....no, probably not)
  • Fox Inheritance by Pearson (argh! more sequels! but Adoration of Jenna Fox was really popular - it was stolen TWICE - and it's gonna be a movie, so we'll have to get the sequel)
  • Freefall by Mindi Scott (It sounded interesting, but I have yet to encounter a single teen interested in music outside school band - and we have Bloss' school band books, so I'm not getting any more "i'm in a band and have issues" books)
  • Girl named Mister by Nikki Grimes (meant to get this one and it got squeezed out - sounds really, really good and something my teens will like. religion, pregnancy, and verse novels)
  • Girl next door by Selene Castrovilla (Lurlene McDaniel read-alike. I found a book I like better about teen/young marriage which was what I wanted)
  • Godless by Pete Hautman (school requirement, see Circuit)
  • Hothouse by Chris Lynch (good fit for our community. we'll get it)
  • Hunger by Jackie Kessler (ok, I still find the premise of this hilarious. I don't know why, it just makes me giggle. But I don't want to start another paranormal series and I haven't had any requests for it, so no.)
  • I now pronounce you someone else by Erin Mccahan (this was the marriage one I liked better and wanted for our collection)
  • I'll get there it better be worth the trip by Donovan (not sure this reprint will be popular, but so far everything I've gotten from Flux has been good and circulated well, so I'll get it based on their recommendation)
  • Inside out by Maria Snyder (bought lots of other dystopias and more to come, so I think this one is superfluous)
  • Invisible Girl by Mary Stone (waiting to see more reviews)
  • Karma by Cathy Ostlere (I bought several pink books last year, so I don't need another right now. Yes, I'm referring to the cover. Yes, that's superficial. What can I say? I got a lot of superficial teens, and they only want so many pink books)
  • Kendra by Coe Booth (I had some kids ask for some Booth titles and decided I better get the whole trilogy or series or whatever it is)
  • Love Drugged by James Klise (I know, I know, I missed it when it came out. I'm going to get it! I promise!)
  • Orchards by Holly Thompson (This one sounds good, but do I need another free verse novel? I will think about it and see what we end up with later this year)
  • Other words for love by Rosenthal (waiting to see more reviews)
  • Rainbow Boys and Rainbow High by Alex Sanchez (school requirement)
  • Recruit by Muchamore (this is a new series, Cherub, sort of Alex Riderish. I need another Alex Riderish series, and not Young James Bond which is NOT popular, I'm just hesitating as to which one to get. This one is still in the running)
  • Romiette and Julio by Sharon Draper (school requirement)
  • Scorpia Rising (new Alex Rider)
  • Speechless or Shine, depending on where you look for the title by Lauren Myracle (Her other dark/horrorish book Bliss was very popular, it got completely soaked in mud AND stolen, so we'll get this one too. As soon as they decide what the title will be...)
  • Three black swans by Cooney (I didn't get this one when it came out b/c of the blah reviews, but have realized Cooney is so popular this one will be loved, so I need to get it eventually)
  • Time traveling Fashionista by Bianca Turetsky (I like the cover and the title. I think my teen girls will too)
  • Tortall and other lands by Tamora Pierce (for ME. I mean, I have pierce fans, I regularly replace the section which gets stolen A LOT, but this one is really for me)
  • Tyrell by Coe Booth (see Kendra above)
  • What can't wait by Ashley Perez (sounded really good and I want more realistic fiction with Latino characters that's not urban)
What I've already bought so far this year:
  • A little friendly advice, Not that kind of girl, and Same difference by Siobhan Vivian. Somehow she just wasn't on my radar at all, but we are having a special guest this summer, guess who!! So I want my teens to be familiar with her, so of course we need all her books! I don't know how I missed them, they look like books my teens will LOVE
  • Rules of attraction by Elkeles (I ordered this last year, but accidentally ordered the pb, which isn't coming out until next year, or rather this year, so I had to reorder it because people are WAITING)
And that's the YA plan. Of course, December 2010 Voya just arrived on my desk so.....Comments? Horror at me leaving out your favorite title? Complaints? Argument? Suggestions welcome.

4 comments:

Kelly J. said...

I've heard the Elkeles might not actually come out this year. I guess she turned in the manuscript but hated it and is rewriting it. So, we'll see. Maybe in place you can get Caridad Ferrer's When the Stars Go Blue. It's got the sizzling romance factor, along with a lot of artsy stuff (she's a dancer and he in bugle corps), plus the main character is Latina.

And *high five* on the Vivian titles.

Jennifer said...

Drat. I had a reader I had weaned off of House of Night and onto Elkeles. Well, I got her Paradise books at Midwinter and I'll take a look at the Ferrer one, sounds good. We need some more Latina characters!

Ms. Yingling said...

The Muchamore is really popular in my library. The series is not a big investment, since they are all prebound. Absolutely look into David Gilman's series (Devil's Breath, Ice Claw). I did NOT like the Cooney Swan book. Reichs Virals and Brain Jack might appeal to the spy crowd as well. Didn't care for Dark Song; it was more of a girl book.

Jennifer said...

That's funny about Dark Song, b/c I never paid much attention to Giles but one of my teen guys asked me to buy her books - he said Shattered Glass was really good and we got that one and it circ'd well. He also really like Flinn's Breathing Underwater and Diva.

I'm seriously considering Virals, I'd like my Patterson fans to read something with a bit more...substance.