Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Latte Rebellion by Sarah Stevenson

I'd heard interesting things about this story and picked it up at ALA to take a quick look. I'm not much of a YA reader, but I can see that this has a lot of elements that will appeal to young adults - and to adults. The main character, Asha, goes through a lot of growth has her idea to sell t-shirts, mainly to support a senior trip to somewhere exciting, turns into a "movement". She deals with changing friendships, college application and acceptance pressure, and getting more involved in the philosophical (not exactly the word I want but it will have to do) ideas that start growing behind her original make-a-few-bucks-and-protest-something-annoying plan.

This book didn't really work for me - which is nothing to do with the writing, characters, etc. and everything to do with my own likes and dislikes. I happen to dislike teen fiction that's school-centric and especially books with a "my senior year changed my life" theme. Not that they're unrealistic. I just don't like them.

So, interesting book, strong characters, will appeal to a wide range of teens and young adults, I'm happy to add it to my library, but it's just not for me.

Review copy provided by Flux at ALA Midwinter.

2 comments:

aquafortis said...

Thanks for reviewing my book and featuring it on the site, even if it's not one for you. :) I really appreciate it!

-Sarah

Jennifer said...

Yep, I'm sure many of my teens will love it!