Friday, April 22, 2011

April I Can Read Carnival

We have a small but select carnival this month. My obsessive side is pleased by the fact that we have exactly ten links for your delectation.

Amy at Delightful Children's Books has 5 Books to Entice a New Reader, focusing on encouraging young children to start sounding out words.

Litland has a review of Matthew Kelly's Why Am I Here? and recommends it for discussion with parents and teachers.

One non-fiction! Anastasia Suen has her easy reader "What do you see at the pond?" and some Earth Day activity suggestions.

Now, this looks fun! A new blog to me - and a new contributor to the I Can Read Carnival is Kerry at Picture Books and Pirouettes and she has a review of Mo Willems' classic Elephants Cannot Dance  and some great links and fun speculation on Mo Willems.

Brimful Curiosities has a post on the early reader series Mittens. I'm going to have to add these to our library, they look like the perfect companion to the wildly popular Biscuit series!

My own contribution, for children who are ready for intermediate easy readers, is a review of Jean Little's realistic easy reader series about a girl named Emma, her best friend Sally, and her adopted brother Max.

Books, Dogs, and Frogs has a collection of easy reader adaptions. I've noticed these are getting more and more popular - more power to 'em, I say! We are quite happy with Splat the Cat at my library.

Katie at Secrets & Sharing Soda has a post on Catherine Hapka's Pony Scouts series. I had no idea there was more than one - these look like great fun!

Squee! Thick & Thin Things has a post on some classic easy readers that were favorites of mine when I was an early reader! The Golly Sisters by Betsy Byars with yummy illustrations by Sue Truesdell. Hilarious!

Alida at Two2Read has some fun baseball beginning chapter books and thoughts on getting boys into reading.

Enjoy this month's carnival, and don't forget to save your posts for next month's I can read carnival, which will be held at Playing by the Book in May!

7 comments:

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

What a lovely selection! And I really enjoy the bright color, but uncluttered layout of your blog.

Thank you for bringing together some great posts. I'm in the thick of a materials for tweens class, so hopefully next month I'll have a post to share.

Can you let readers know who will be hosting next month?

many thanks,

Mary Ann

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

Thanks, Jennifer! Looking forward to checking these out--and contributing to the carnival next month!

booksdogsandfrogs said...

Thanks for doing this round up! I love early readers, though I've almost committed all of my money for readers. I still have lots left for biographies, but that isn't as much fun!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Thanks for compiling all the posts! I'm very excited about the I Can Read carnival and enjoy participating. My daughter is just starting her reading journey and it's nice to have this resource available.

Terry Doherty said...

I love this collection, Jennifer. And I can TOTALLY relate to wanting a nice neat collection.

Thank you so much for hosting and for adding additional recommendations to help round out the pieces.

For those interested in contributing, Zoe Toft at Playing by the Book has May.

justchildrensbooks.com said...

This is a fantastic carnival idea. Hope to participate next round! Now I'm off to check out all of the reviews.

mouseprints said...

A fun, diverse collection of entries! Thanks for letting me take part!