Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cranky Librarian says:

So, I realize culture in general is much more relaxed than it used to be. I am all in favor of wearing my hair in interesting braided shapes and my comfy trail walkers. I am happy to say I do not own a single pair of heels and my only stockings are for the purposes of additional warmth in the winter and the very rare professional meeting (and I've got opinions about the wearing of stockings in those situations also)

However. I believe some standards need to be maintained. Namely, BATHING. If I can smell you six feet away, if your hair is molded into interested shapes, if your clothes are moving on their own...something is WRONG. I realize how exhausting it is to raise kids (I know you have several kids, because I can see - and hear and smell - them in the children's area while you sit at the computer). I assume you live close by and it hardly seems worth the bother to get yourself and your children dressed if you're just walking over here. Pajamas we can overlook.

But seriously people, water is a good thing! Try sprinkling a little on yourself before going out in public. With some nice soap and maybe a little shampoo...

Now I have to go bathe again because I can STILL SMELL YOU although I am at home.

This is why librarians turn green when they're visiting another library and are invited to sit down. WE KNOW what has been in those chairs. *shudder*

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

oh goodness, we have a patron who makes the computer area a toxic place...if only there was a polite way to tell her!

Jennifer said...

well, we do have it in our policy that people can be asked to leave if their smell is disturbing other patrons - and we have had to do so. This particular group of regular patrons isn't THAT bad, but it's quite obvious that they don't bathe or do laundry often. Eventually we may say something...