Friday, May 27, 2011

Chasing Alliecat by Rebecca Fjelland Davis


I haven't been on a bike since I was about 12 and my older brother firmly refused to accompany me on any bike rides. He said I was going to get myself killed and he would get in trouble. Seriously, that car missed me by whole feet!
Yeah, I have some trouble judging distances. I'm better at it now (but if you see a small dark green car with lots of ribbons tied to the antennae, beware)

This book made me want to go mountain biking. Desperately. I couldn't stop reading it. I devoured the pulse-pounding descriptions of biking, I completely felt the desperation Sadie feels to escape from the crowded house she shares with her relatives, I wanted to cheer for Allie as she fights to escape from the dark and horrible mystery that pursues her, and got all teary-eyed when Sadie and Joe start cautiously opening up to each other.

I'm not a big reader of YA, but when I do, I often read Flux and I'm always satisfied. This story was very satisfying. I loved the crisp but descriptive writing, the realistic characters, the pulse-pounding mystery, and I especially loved the way the author didn't write a happily-ever-after romance for any of her teens. It's all about the mystery, the dark secrets, the friendship, and the biking.

Verdict: Buy it. Even if your teens aren't into biking, they will be after they read this. Hand it to readers who want books with lots of action and not a ton of mushy stuff and especially to teens looking for a good mystery.

ISBN: 9780738721309; Published February 2011 by Flux; Review copy provided by publisher at ALA Midwinter 2011

No comments: