Sunday, August 28, 2011

I Can Read Carnival

Welcome to the August I Can Read Carnival! This is a great time to be thinking about early and beginning readers, as kids attend school for the first time or return after a summer (hopefully!) of reading.

At my public library, I encourage early and beginning readers by offering a large selection of easy readers and beginning chapter books which include a variety of formats and genres such as graphic novels, nonfiction, and magazines. I emphasize early literacy skills in my preschool programming and I offer after school programs for all ages, including preschool through the early grades, to encourage library use and literacy. How do you, or your local library, encourage early readers?

Easy Readers

Brimful Curiosities has a post on the ever-popular Fly Guy series by Tedd Arnold. This series in no way has waned in popularity at my library - after purchasing 2nd copies of the whole series, I've found it's STILL not enough to meet demand!

Roberta at Wrapped in Foil has a great nonfiction easy reader, Ant Antics. Nonfiction easy readers are a new phenomenon at my library and a very popular one!

Beginning Chapter Books

Gail Gauthier (who has written several great beginning chapter books) at Original Content reviews After Happily Ever After: Cinderella and the Mean Queen by Tony Bradman

Kate at Secrets and Sharing Soda has a review of a new favorite series at my library, Stephanie Greene's Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade

I have a review of Julie Sternberg's Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie. Although this wasn't my favorite books, mainly for philosophical reasons, the little girls I gave the galley to really liked it. I also have a review from last year of a great series called Doyle and Fossey, Science Detectives by Michele Torrey. Over the past year, this series has proven to be extremely popular with beginning readers and their parents and I'm excited to highlight it again!

Picture Books and Other Links

Debbie Clement at Rainbows within Reach blogs about winning a 2011 Indie Award for Excellence for her picture book Red, White, and Blue, which is intended to be used in classrooms with younger grades. She also has an author interview video, where you can see some of the original quilts she created for the book.

Mary Ann Scheuer at Great Kids Books has several reviews of camping books, perfect for new and emerging readers to enjoy with an adult. She also has a fun blog post on books that play with your expectations, a good way to practice narrative skills with new readers!

Cath in the Hat has a post on upcoming books for new and beginning readers she's looking forward to. I agree with the excitement about Nursery Rhyme Comics - anything that includes Nick Bruel has got to be good!

Anastasia Suen at 5 Great Books has 5 great picture books for young readers on Labor Day.

4 comments:

Roberta said...

The carnival looks great. I appreciate your comments about how the books are working at your library.

Thank you too, for fitting in my less-than-prompt submission.

Jennifer said...

No problem, you were more prompt than I - it's late b/c I didn't get up until nearly 3pm!

The Book Chook said...

I love that you emphasize different genres and formats with your junior books. I know some parents and teachers worry that graphic novels mean less reading but I think the opposite is true. I've seen my son led to all sorts of more challenging reading through graphic novels and comics.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I think it is so important for parents to be open to all kinds of books. What appeals to you might not appeal to your kids and vice versa. Lesson learned for me with the Fly Guy books.