Sunday, August 21, 2011

It may be 80 degrees outside, but fall is officially here!

Because I have a giant lovely box of review books from Raab, representing Kids Can Press, Goosebottom, Jane Yolen, and more! Things I'm especially looking forward to reading and reviewing over the next few weeks...

Kids Can Press' graphic novels have been really great, Sam &, Binky, and Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves), and I'm exciting to see new sequels and new series, all in great bindings of course. Yay KCP!
  • Big City Otto: Elephants Never Forget by Bill Slavin
    • Why has nobody ever thought to make more graphic novels about elephants?
  • Luz sees the light by Claudia Davila
  • Sign of the Black Rock by Scott Chantler (squee!!! it's the next Three Thieves book!!! It has an exciting cover!!!
  • Binky Under Pressure (yayyyyy!!! more Binky!!!)
And of course there are marvelous new picture books from KCP!!
  • Let's count to 100 by Masayuki Sebe. Someone asked me for a counting to 100 book several months ago and I couldn't find anything good. Now I need look no further! I read this to my friends at a BYOB party (bring your own book) and they all agreed it was a winner!
  • Hocus Pocus by Sylvie Desrosiers (we all loved this one too)
  • My name is Elizabeth by Annika Dunklee (fun color scheme!)
  • Kitten's Winter by Eugenie Fernandes (we LOVE this series!)
And exciting new nonfiction!
  • Biomimicry: inventions inspired by nature by Dora Lee (very cool illustrations)
  • Look at that building! by Scot Ritchie (this is the guy who did Follow that map, which is really cool)

Goosebottom Press has a new set in the Thinking Girls Treasury - Dastardly Dames. One of the things I really liked about their princess series was the many "non-standard" princesses they included and I'm pleased to see this set includes some lesser-known women as well.

And some exciting new offerings from Jane Yolen, including Sister Bear a Norse tale, which I'm very excited about and Snow in Summer, a retelling of Snow White set in Appalachia which looks middle grade or teen and has a very lovely cover.

Lots more lovely things in the box, but these are the ones I'm really excited about. Look for in-depth reviews, coming soon!!

No comments: