Sunday, December 30, 2012

Dipping my toes into the sea of manga: Tesoro by Natsume Ono

I received a copy of this title for Cybils. It wasn't like any of the other manga I've read so far - it reminded me a little of My Neighbors the Yamadas. There are a number of short stories, each in the same style of wiggly lines and circled eyes. It's not exactly black and white, more sepia tones.

The art style wasn't to my taste at all - it felt more like a sketchbook, or one of those really arty graphic memoirs that are of interest mainly to the creator. Along those lines, I have a hard time thinking of a teen this would appeal to. The stories talk about two elderly people who are seen as odd by their neighbors, a girl (college student?) who makes up stories about her parents, a student whose friends think she is romantically involved with her professor, etc. In other words, the stories are equally divided between stories about young adults who appear to be college age or just graduated and elderly people. The pace is reflective and thoughtful, with little touches of sweetness and silliness. I wouldn't buy it for the teen collection, but maybe the adult if there were fans of this artist's work.

Review copy provided by Viz Media for Cybils.

No comments: