Sunday, December 30, 2012

Dipping my toes into the sea of manga: Dinosaur Hour by Hitoshi Shioya

Now THIS was easy to read! I'm not sure why I found this one so much easier to follow, maybe because it was so simple and there's limited dialogue. Each chapter, or "bone" is a self-contained story, starting with some dinosaur facts, featuring an interaction with dinosaurs, and ending with a punchline, usually involving some dead dinosaurs.

There not really any obvious violence, and it's funny in a kind of ironic way. I would say it's meant for beginning readers, but occasionally the humor becomes more subtle. The real problem with books involving dinosaurs is that the facts get outdated so fast. I enjoyed reading this, but again, it wouldn't go on my favorites list.

Borrowed from a library in my consortium

No comments: