Sunday, December 30, 2012

Dipping my toes into the sea of manga: Bride's Story 3 by Kaoru Mori


I picked this up because it was nominated for Cybils. This continues the story of researcher Mr. Smith and, according to the flap copy, adds a new female character. Talas, a young widow, who lives alone with her mother-in-law. The two take Mr. Smith in when his guide doesn't show up but complications ensue. The art is really lovely, very detailed and I liked the darker shading and lines. The proliferation of different hairstyles and clothing made it easier for me to distinguish the characters. I found the setting interesting, but I wanted to know lots and lots more about the Silk Road setting and I had a hard time buying Mr. Smith's behavior. He acts much more like a, well, a teen manga character than an adult European researcher in the 19th century. I guess it might have made more sense if I'd started from the beginning.

Borrowed from the library

No comments: