Sunday, December 30, 2012

Dipping my toes into the sea of manga: Durarara!! Drrr!!! vol. 1 by Ryohgo Narita, illustrated by Akiyo Satorigi

Maybe I should have read a few other manga before tackling this one. A young teen goes to high school in the big, exciting city of Ikebukuro. His old friend warns him there are dangerous people there, but you rarely see them. Except the teen immediately sees pretty much all of them the first day. He sees this odd guy being stalked by a girl who has a crush on him, an urban legend motorcycle rider, and a variety of scary, possibly gang-related guys.

Then a bunch of people get killed in weird and freaky ways and there's some Celtic mythology and...uh...yeah.

Trying to make sense of this, I turned to the wonders of Wikipedia and it fleshed out the characters for me a little. It also said this was a "light novel" and I said wha-the-WHAT?? Bodies in suitcases! Teen girl gets throat ripped out!

But apparently that just means it's written in a simpler form of Japanese characters. Okey-dokey then.

The art...looked like manga. Honestly, I can't tell the difference. Still working on that.

Borrowed from another library in my consortium

No comments: