Sunday, December 30, 2012

Dipping my toes into the sea of manga: The Conclusion

So, lots of manga reading (yes, most of it at the last minute, but whatever). It did get easier to read right to left after a while, but that was never really a huge issue for me, since I've studied languages that run that way. I did pick up on the panel design more easily, and it also got easier to tell characters apart. Ultimately, I'm still not really a manga fan. I found two series that I'd like to read more of, Lizzie Newton and Fullmetal Alchemist, and maybe a little more XXXHolic but that was it. I found most of the art to look pretty much the same and that got very boring. Also, I'm really not a sequel person - I want to read a book and get a fairly complete story. Most of these first volumes were just set up for the rest of the series, but the thought of reading another 10, 20, or 30 volumes was pretty echthl (sticking out tongue noise). It seems like a lot of the manga I read is either action and nothing else or endless dialogue and that didn't interest me. I like mystery and action with only a little gooey emotion - but definitely a little. Some people did recommend more intricate/adult stories, but really, they're not the thing I'd read as prose, so why read them as manga?

Anyways, I can now see a little more of what the teens like about this form and why, so I'll have a better idea of what to order. Although, honestly manga is rather like ordering kids' dvds - generally doesn't matter what I get, they'll check it out. I enjoyed some of the books I read and found a few more I'd like to read, so it wasn't wasted time personally either.

And that's all for my 2012 New Year's Resolution projects! Now...what shall I do next year?

No comments: