Tuesday, January 29, 2013

ALA Midwinter 2013: What I brought back (other than various aches and pains and a resolution never to fly with Sherman the Sea Lion again)

I can see you all across the internet bugging out your eyes at my list and asking jealously "and what are you going to DO with all those books?" Well, various things. They will all be read (or at least skimmed). Many of them will be reviewed, either here or at my secondary blog, http://flyingoffmybookshelf.blogspot.com/. "Real" books (as opposed to ARCs) will mostly be added to the library. Galleys will be used as summer prizes. F&Gs will be tested in storytime, dissected for art projects, and used to decorate the bathroom walls (a fabulous idea which I got from a member of my ALSC committee). The sturdier, bound F&Gs will probably end up at a daycare. A few select books will become my exclusive property. Some will be passed on to colleagues, teachers, and school librarians. A few will go directly into the hands of kids. Rest assured, they will all be loved, wherever they go.

And yes, I fit this all into a medium-sized suitcase, carry-on suitcase, and canvas bag, along with my change of pants, borrowed netbook, See's lollipops, undies, and crochet thread. What else does one need at a conference after all?

Chapter Books
I tried to not get any sequels, since I rarely review them and don't like giving them out as prizes, but sometimes mistakes were made. I looked zealously for beginning chapter books, but they were few and far between. When it comes to galleys, teen books seem to get most of the shiny love. I got:

  • Starbounders by Adam Epstein
  • Cloneward Bound by M. E. Castle (accidental sequel)
  • Magician's tower by Shawn Odyssey (on purpose sequel, so that I will read the first book as I have been planning lo these many days)
  • Tangle of knots by Lisa Graff
  • Undertown by Melvin Bukiet
  • Bo at Ballard Creek by Kirkpatrick Hill
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's guide to summer vacation by Tommy Greenwald (on purpose sequel)
  • Lightning catcher by Anne Cameron
  • Stuck in the middle (of middle school) a novel in doodles by Karen Young (mostly to remind me to buy more sequels)
  • Dorko the Magnificent by Andrea Beatty (only THIS SECOND realized this is by the author of Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies!!!)
  • Scholastic's beginning chapter series, Branches
    • Notebook of doom: Rise of the balloon goons by Troy Cummings
    • Looniverse: Stranger things by David Lubar
    • Boris on the move by Andrew Joyner
    • Missy's super duper royal deluxe picture day by Susan Ness
    • Lotus Lane: Kiki, my stylish life by Kyla May
  • School of S.P.I.E.S: Play with fire by Bruce Hale
  • Hide and seek by Kate Messner
  • Spotlight club mysteries: mystery of the bewitched bookmobile by Florence parry Heide (reissue)
  • When the butterflies came by Kimberley Little
  • Hold fast by Blue Balliett
  • Genie Wishes by Elisabeth Dahl
  • Athlete vs. mathlete by W. C. Mack
  • Kelsey Green, reading queen by Claudia Mills
  • Life of Ty: Penguin problems by Lauren Myracle
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello Nebulon by Ray O'Ryan
  • Critter Club: Amy and the missing puppy by Callie Barkley
  • Fish Finelli: Seagulls don't eat pickles by E. S. Farber
  • Like bug juice on a burger by Julie Sternberg (I hated the first one, but the kids liked it, so I thought I'd give the series another chance)
  • Wig in the window by Kristen Kittscher
  • Rules for ghosting by A. J. Paquette
  • Heartbreak Messenger by Alexander Vance
  • Grasshopper magic by Lynne Jonell
  • Platypus police squad: the frog who croaked by Jarrett Krosoczka (i usually hate fake noir, but i am EXCITED about this one)
  • OMG: the glitter trap by Barbara Brauner
  • Odd squad: bully bait by Michael Fry
  • Ninja meerkats: the clan of the scorpion by Gareth Jones
  • Thrice upon a marigold by Jean Ferris (this is a sequel, but I have some serious Ferris fans and I plan to somehow auction this off to them. Mostly depending who I see first)
  • Starring Jules as herself by Beth Ain
  • Center of everything by Linda Urban
  • S.W.I.T.C.H. Ant Attack by Ali Sparkes (I'm reading the first on Netgalley and I wanted to see how the sequel went)
  • Gum Girl by Rhode Montijo (this has nothing to do with Andi Watson's Gum Girl, although both are girls and superheroes and get their power from gum  and are comics and have lots of pink)
  • Garden princess by Kristin Kladstrup
  • Vote by Gary Paulsen (oh yeah. I'm going to put this on display at my desk and award it to the kid who tells me the funniest joke. Or something)
  • An army of frogs by Trevor Pryce
  • Scary Tales: Home sweet horror by James Preller
  • Adventures of Arnie the Doughnut: Bowling Alley Bandit by Laurie Keller (not a fan of Arnie myself, but many kids are)
  • Cats of Tanglewood Forest by Charles de Lint (this galley is for ME. and I promised to share it with Sara the Librarian, since I snagged the last one)
  • Stranded by Jeff Probst
  • Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George (miiiiine)
  • Elvis and the underdogs by Jenny Lee
  • Water Castle by Megan Frazer Blakemore
  • Cul-de-sac Kids by Alison Acheson

Teen Books
Now that I have a few Midwinters under my belt, I have a better idea of what to pick up. That would NOT be teen, in general, but I did get a few things.

  • I asked the very nice ladies at the Zondervan booth for recommendations of realistic, contemporary teen fiction with a religious/inspirational element, but not too heavy-handed. I have quite a few Christian teen girls, some homeschooled, who would like more of this genre. And they handed me books! I never cease to be amazed at the generosity, knowledgeability, and enthusiasm of the small publishers. They gave me:
    • Chasing Jupiter by Rachel Coker
    • Insight by Diana Greenwood
    • Interrupted: life beyond words by Rachel Coker
    • Like moonlight at low tide by Nicole Quigley
    • and a Berenstain Bears book
  • Will & Whit by Laura Lee Gulledge (I am soooo excited about this new graphic novel from the author of Page by Paige)
  • Notes from ghost town by Kate Ellison (I'm not sure how I ended up with this)
  • Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (this is a real book. some teens have asked for it, but I didn't have the budget. now we have it!)
  • Prodigy by Marie Lu (I have a teen who will be thrilled beyond words to have this)
Nonfiction
  • Mighty Mars Rovers by Elizabeth Rusch (this was a real book, a freebie! we don't own it, so it will go right into the collection. The cover is a bit ripped, but that's no big deal)
  • Lincoln's grave robbers by Steve Sheinkin (squeeeeee!!!!!)
  • Junk-Box Jewelry by Sarah Drew (free book from Zest!)
Adult Books
I mostly get these as consolation for my colleagues who were unable to attend, but I had very little space this year. Occasionally they are something I personally want.
  • Out of the Easy by Ruta Septys (Between Shades of Gray ended up in adult, so I thought our adult selector would like a look at this)
  • Dreams and shadows by C. Robert Cargill (I am actually interested in reading this myself)
  • Julia Quinn was signing books and I got an ARC of her anthology, The Lady Most Willing...I read a copy from the library and liked both this one and the title before it. They're fun!
  • Tarnished by Karina Cooper (I was just looking at this series - steampunk/urban fantasy/victoriana. Sounds interesting, but I'll need to read the first one first probably)
Other Stuff
Lots of little things, posters, etc. I mention only a few.
  • Activity kits from Chronicle (I think they're available online too). Wumbers, Chloe, Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site, Press Here, It's a tiger
  • F&Gs. If you aren't familiar with these, they're like galleys of picture books but they're not bound (unless you are Roaring Brook Press, in which case you make awesome little bound pamphlets out of them) they make excellent posters, collage projects, and are fun for looking at what's coming soon.
    • Uh-Oh, Dodo! by Jennifer Sattler
    • Speed by Nathan Clement
    • Grandma and the great gourd by Chitra Divakaruni
    • Bunnies on ice by Johanna Wright
    • Lucky Ducklings by Eva Moore
    • Trixie Ten by Sarah Massini
    • The spooky box by Mark Gonyea
    • This is our house by Hyewon Yum
    • Boom Boom Boom by Jamie Swenson (It has guinea pigs!)
    • Exclamation Point by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
    • Stripes by Susan Stockdale (I am CRAZY EXCITED about a new Susan Stockdale book!)
  • Starring Jules bookmarks (a whole pack! very cute!)
  • Various stickers
  • Handouts from many publisher's book buzzes
  • A wookiee tattoo
  • Two packs of awesome notecards from Workman Press, which will be summer reading prizes for the adults.
  • In a spirit of innocent enthusiasm and the screaming death of a thousand trees, Penguin distributed their entire 2013 winter and spring catalogs at their book buzz program, two massive collection that measured an inch thick each on thick, glossy paper. Sara the Librarian and myself spent an enjoyable evening in our hotel room, ripping out the pages we were interested in, and then recycled the rest.
  • Cognotes - I keep a couple for the other librarians and the awards edition to cut up for the bulletin board
  • Etiquette and Espionage buttons. I hate big buttons and refused to wear the Caldecott one, but I like mini ones, especially when they're clever. I will add them to my bag. I missed the actual galley, but it's coming out soon anyways.
  • A really awesome owl bag from OwlKids Press (and a fun conversation with the publicist who KNOWS JEAN LITTLE. Awesomeness.)
  • A variety of posters
  • Purchased (they sell things cheap on the last day. I bought a lot last year, but this year I weighed the, well, weight against the discount and it wasn't really worth it except for a few things)
    • No more blanket for Lambkin, No more biting for Billy Goat! by Bernette Ford and Sam Williams
    • Deadly Adorable Animals, Deadly High-Risk Jobs, Jennifer Lawrence from Lerner and I got From Sheep to Sweater as a freebie with my purchase

No comments: