Saturday, January 26, 2013

This week at the library; or, Rainy skies await me!

Programs
  • Toddlers 'n' Books (2 sessions) (Pattie)
  • Preschool Interactive
  • Books 'n' Babies (Pattie)
  • Lego Club
  • We Explore Winter (Pattie)
Random Commentary
  • I am excited that the local Catholic school, St. Pat's, called me to set up a remote collection in their middle school classrooms. I've visited them and suggested this several times. They do have a little school library and a part-time volunteer librarian, but it's all donations so they rarely have new books. I picked out about 35 fantasy, fiction, and non-fiction books for the teacher to choose from and she's going to keep them in her classroom for the kids.
  • We had a department meeting with the new head of the Parks and Recreation department (sort of, I guess she's actually just recreation maybe? But I'm used to saying Parks and Rec). Hopefully we will have lots of good collaboration in the future, but there are a lot of changes and challenges ahead. How does your library work with your local parks and recreation department? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • I was so busy over the winter programming break that I never had time to put together my storytimes, meaning that now I'm doing them the day before every week. Not good, especially when the books I want are checked out. Argh.
  • Random House sent me a selection of new and reprinted Little Golden Books. Now, they are not really something I am going to review, but they did inspire me to start a new tub for...Little Golden Books! So I'll be buying more of these in the future. (I keep tubs for 8x8 books and paperbacks - so far we have Barbie, Disney, Disney Princesses, Nick Jr - Olivia, Spongebob, Star Wars, Superheroes, Dora, Berenstain Bears, Thomas, Curious George, and Little Critter. I got this idea from the Batavia Public Library)
  • I KNOW the kids at the middle school are not allowed even the faintest whiff of inappropriate language (as witness the questioning I underwent when I brought Math Doesn't Suck) so why do they think they can use bad language at the library? Argh!
  • I left for ALA Midwinter on Friday, so Pattie did a winter storytime. I don't know what she did, but I'm sure it was fun.
  • As you read this, I will be at ALA Midwinter, attending committees, seeing new books, and enjoying the lovely weather!

No comments: