Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Read Scary: Prom Dates from Hell by Rosemary Clement-Moore

This is my YA book of the year. I am not a YA person. I rarely read it (yes, I do collection development and reader's advisory for YA. There are only so many hours in the day and it's a very small part of our circulation). I do skim the books I buy but I can never work up enough interest to make it all the way through. However, every year I seem to find just one book that I completely fall in love with. This is that book in 2013.

Maggie is satisfied with her mostly-invisible nerd status. She's got a few friends, academic success and she's pretty much ignoring all that weird stuff that her Gran keeps talking about. But then strange things start happening at school and to her horror she realizes that to solve the mystery (a la her secret heroine Nancy Drew) she just might have to...attend PROM.

There's a delightful maybe-romance with a college student, some serious thoughts about friendship and revenge, and lots and lots of snark.

Full confession: I read this after I weeded it. The whole series, actually. It made me hurt inside because even though I hadn't read them yet, I loved the description and the covers and I meant to read them sometime. But they were just not the right books for our audience.

Verdict: Who is the right audience? Teens who love snark, Buffy, Veronica Mars, and self-aware heroines who are smart and not ashamed of it, able to speak up for themselves - but also know when to ask for help. This is, sadly, only a small number of teens in my town who mostly seem to prefer Twilight and Sarah Dessen (not that there's anything wrong with those). If you have teen patrons who fit this description - go forth and purchase!

ISBN: 9780385734134; Published 2007 by Delacorte; Purchased for the library, weeded from same. Sigh.

No comments: