Saturday, October 25, 2014

This week at the library; or, Outreach it's ON

What's going on at the library and in my head
  • Sometimes all you can do on Monday is resign yourself to your fate and hope you don't throw up on any small children. I passed the BLAs in the picture books to neighborhood projects. Now I'm on to the BUTs. I'm beginning to have a sneaking suspicion that this project will not be done by the end of the year...
  • This week was crazy with outreach, staffing issues, and trying to think about big picture goals when all I really want to do is survive until November.
  • Bright spots - someone found me a toilet seat so I didn't have to make one for the Wimpy Kid party and a parent told me how much they loved the Neighborhoods. Also, one of the parent chaperones on the second grade tour came back to donate stuff!
  • Several new families came to the Welty center program and everyone had a great time, although it was a smaller group (although a good size for a no school day - 35)
Programs
What the kids are reading:
  • Kid wanting nonfiction that he could read and chapter books. He was carrying some magic tree house and I threw out some subjects - history? adventure? sports? SPORTS. I have him Jake Maddox and showed him the Bearport sports bios that I have - very excited with Jake Maddox.
  • Adult looking for books for an 8 year old who's gone through all the Wimpy Kid and is finishing Big Nate and wants him to "move on". She seemed receptive so I cautiously gave my tactful speech about how books are more than levels and he wouldn't want to miss out on the books kids his age are reading just because they're a little easier. She agreed and took Shredderman,
  • Books about moving to a "big boy bed" - I have Eve Bunting's Your own big bed and also Ed Braun's Back to bed, Ed!
  • Holiday books - Halloween and Thanksgiving.
  • Kids on tour were VERY excited about the minecraft books I showed them. I told our cataloger to make sure the records were in so they could place holds.
  • Wimpy Kid
  • Cupcake Crusader - this turned out to be Horace Splattley, which I don't own
  • I Spy books
  • More suggestions for 900+ lexile reader I talked to a few weeks ago - he loved Nurk and the Komodo Dragons book and didn't really get into Ranger's Apprentice, so I gave him the Face to Face series for nonfiction, Doc Wilde and the Frogs of Doom, and How to train your dragon

No comments: