|Because my garden makes me happy|
The mission of the Youth Services Department of the Matheson Memorial Library is to provide informational, educational, and recreational services, in a friendly and supportive setting, to all families, children, and caregivers of the Elkhorn community. These services are available through quality materials and programs offered by a friendly and knowledgeable staff in a comfortable and welcoming environment. The Youth Services Department serves as a family gathering place focused on educating, enriching, and entertaining the families, children, teens, and caregivers of the public.
- Serve all age groups with a variety of programs.
- Serve all families and caregivers with a broad programming schedule
- Make the Youth Services Department a destination by offering a welcoming, fun, and enriching environment
- Offer programs for each time slot (morning, afternoon, early evening, late evening)
- Offer a wider variety of programs for early childhood; active/movement programs and programs directed at smaller groups.
- Offer a wider variety of school-age programs, specifically for smaller groups, which will enable us to build relationships and encourage use of the collection
- Revive middle school and teen programs, creating simple, sustainable programs that build on school-age program participants
- Expand outreach to four year olds to build an audience for the preschool programming schedule.
- Alternate programs in time slots so we can offer more variety (monthly/bimonthly instead of weekly)
- Alternate programs storytime/dance program/art program etc. instead of the same program every week
- Stagger programs don’t start everything all at once, put in gaps when I know there will be heavy calls for outreach (end of October, end of April)
- Start with one middle school program (reviving middle school madness) and creating a teen volunteer program
- Implement a planning schedule to streamline marketing, budgeting and create better long-term evaluation of programming and build word-of-mouth interest in programs
- November (Thanksgiving) finalize plans for January-May
- April (after big party) finalize plans for June-August
- August finalize plans for September-December