Saturday, January 3, 2015

This Week at the Library; or, Goodbye 2014, You were pretty nice overall

Another year gone. I have lots of posts on data, goals, Neighborhoods, and other exciting library stuff going up over the next month. But now....a reflection on the past year and, as Ms. Yingling says, personality leakage. Cuz why not?


Professionally, I will always have to remind myself not to over-plan and work myself into oblivion. The year had a rocky start with a lot of stressful things going on - lots of crazy at work, trying to get the Neighborhoods program going, and I was sick several times which was miserable and at least partly my own fault, for getting too caught up in work and not taking the time to exercise and de-stress. But I didn't just let myself sink under the weight of it all this time - I talked to my director about cutting back and she agreed. I successfully argued for an associate and I'm hiring right now! (please apply to work for me! It will be fun! Heh heh heh) I've almost finished my Neighborhoods project, which I'm really excited about. I got to take a class on youth services management with Marge Loch-Wouters, which really helped my planning and goal-setting processes and I went to ALSC Institute, which was awesome. Personally, I finally finished moving  in and organizing my apartment (after 3 years, I know) which makes me very happy as this space is now mine.

This year I'm going to continue to work on a better work-life-blogging balance. I have more vacation (yay seniority!) and I'm going to take it. I'm letting go of having every program every week and giving myself time to take a break, plan new things, and easing off regular programs when I have heavy outreach. I will be getting a youth services associate this year and I'm going to practice delegating. I cut back a little on blogging and I'm going to spend more time doing the things I haven't had time to do, like all my handcrafts. I'm going to connect a little more with some of the people I've met - I'm joining a book club and I'm going to make an effort to attend the knitting group at our library more often.

What's happening in my head and at the library
  • Another interrupted week as we were closed for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. I only worked a couple hours on Friday before getting miserably sick and going home. Not a good omen for the new year.
  • Cybils!! Cybils shortlists were announced on January 1. I am really happy with the list my team put together on Elementary and Middle Grade Nonfiction, and the shortlist produced by the panel I was on for fiction picture books. Check out all the lists on Cybils.com!
Programs

No comments: