Sunday, May 31, 2015

RA RA Read: Picture books about divorce and blended families

A patron requested books about blended families some time ago and I totally blanked. I did some searches, but found mostly adoption and/or divorce stories, nothing about remarriage and new siblings. Storytime Underground came to my rescue and I'm listing titles here for future use! I've added divorce titles as well, although there are many more than the ones I've listed here. I don't necessarily recommend all of these - many I haven't looked at - they're just a reference list.

Divorce
  • We're having a Tuesday by DK Simoneau
  • Fred stays with me! by Nancy Coffelt
  • A day with Dad by Bo Holmberg
  • Mom and Dad don't live together anymore by Kathy Stinson
  • The most important thing by Rhonda Roth
  • I don't want to talk about it by Jeanie Ransom
  • Monday, Wednesday and every other weekend by Karen Stanton
  • There for you by Annette Aubrey

Remarriage and new siblings (i.e. blended families)
  • When Otis Courted Mama by Kathi Appelt
  • Mr. Badger and Mrs. Fox by Brigitte Luciani (series)
  • My mom's wedding by Eve Bunting
  • Room for rabbit by Roni Schotter
  • My real family by Doris Sanford
  • Two's company by Amanda Benjamin
  • My mother's getting married by Joan Drescher
More titles not available in my consortium
  • Two homes for Tyler by Pamela Kennedy
  • Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite
  • Dad and Pop: An ode to fathers and stepfathers by Kelly Bennett
  • Do you sing twinkle by Sandra Levins

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

Nielsen's new We Are All Made of Molecules had a blended family, even though the parents hadn't married yet. I liked it way more than I thought I would; maybe I knew there wasn't a lot on blended families. Drawing a bit of a blank in MG, too.

Jennifer said...

I think there's more in middle grade, although of COURSE I can't think of any now. It's weird when you think about it because even in my small, conservative town at least half the kids' parents are divorced/remarried, etc. and most when they were very young and yet middle grade seems to focus a lot on kids worrying about their parents marriage, and it almost never ends in divorce.