Saturday, May 23, 2015

This week at the library; or, The panic sets in

Finally, after the ill-fated magnets, I laminated labels
for the juvenile series shelf.
What's going on; in my head and at the library
  • I keep telling myself that this year, summer will be so much simpler. No big projects, no stress. HA. Apparently I can panic and stress with no reason. I am very talented.
  • Garden day was supposed to be when the homeschoolers got summer info and for people to come help out with planting the gardens. Well, it was freezing cold, I didn't have the dirt or plants, and only about 3 families showed up. We did get a lot of weeding done, with me and two other staff members, and talked about the future of the gardens and outdoor programming.
Some Projects Completed/In Progress This Week
  • Working on cleaning out storyroom closet
  • Shifting teen area
  • Working on finishing up summer planning and preparing for school visits
  • Signage for juvenile series
Programs
Ongoing and New Stealth Programs and Displays
What the kids are reading; A Selection
  • Minecraft
  • Train books for a four year old
  • Classics likely to be on high school AP English Literature
  • Appropriate movies for a three year old
  • "clean" reads for a middle grade student. I helped them find some of the titles they had on a list and then recommended Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles and Lois Lenski's historical novels.
  • Books for a child going into 2nd grade - recommended Branches and several other beginning chapter series.
  • Books for a preschooler with high language abilities, but who gets bored with readers and just wants to be read to. We went through a lot of possibilities, including the We Both Read series, Toon Books, and some other graphic novels.
  • Pixie sticks? I think? It's not a series we have. I went through pretty much every beginning fairy chapter book until she agreed to take Emily Rodda's Enter the Fairy Realm omnibus.
I moved the Maker Kits (more on that later) and then shifted
teen comics and graphic novels around the corner into
the empty space. More signage to come (I put up temporary strips
of paper saying "teen comics teen graphic novels)

I shifted all the manga down to fill in the one shelf range that
had held comics, shifted ALL the shelves to have more space
(forgetting to put the back bits in most of them but whatever)
moved the anime over and then had the space to shelve all the
teen audiobooks

I shifted all the nonfiction so it was more accessible and uniform,
then used the audiobook space to move over the magazines.
There's now an empty range at the end, to the right, next to the wall,
where we will be doing stealth programs/activities.

No comments: